Chinese-Forums

An opensource online Chinese dictionary program

filination

Hi,

We run a small Chinese language and culture forum in Hebrew that provides a community for the Chinese language students in Israeli - http://www.chinese-garden.net.

I believe one of the main issues that keep coming up is the lack of any Hebrew-Chinese-Hebrew dictionary. I would like to try and start a project of an online dictionary where anyone can contribute a translation to Hebrew for an existing character.

I've seen plenty of online Chinese-English dictionaries, but I haven't seen an open-source one that I can just plugin and let the members start working. Did I miss something?

If any of the online dictionaries owners are willing - what's also possible is to take an existing project aiming at English, delete the English entries, add Hebrew/Unicode support and get that up and running.

There a few non-Chinese opensource projects for dictionaries, but I would like to have the option of a pinyin/radical lookup etc.

If you have any ideas, or heard of anything that might help us in our goals, I'd be very interested ...

Thanks in advance,

fiLi

Jockster - thanks, I'll look into it.

Meng Lelan - I'd be interested in hearing more about your friend, since the subject of Chinese in Israel is something I'm very curious about (http://www.filination.com/blog). I would say that we have very few ex-Chinese citizens, but a rising community of legal and illegal Chinese foreign workers. The number of people who are either studying or doing business with Chinese-based countries (China, Taiwan, HK, Singapore) is increasing rapidly. My best regards to your friend, s/he's welcome to come visit our small chinese-garden.net community.

filination,

i checked out your blog and website, since I don't know Hebrew i'm only able to enjoy the blog. I've met some Chinese in the mainland that study biblical Hebrew, and quite a few Israelis teaching English in China.

(Rt now the link to your blog doesn't work because of the parentheses - if you get rid of them it will work.)