Chinese-Forums

What's with legit English DVDs only in dubbed Chinese?

jak__

We have a nice DVD store in our 小区 that sells only legal DVDs and has a huge rental selection. I picked up a copy of Harry Potter 4 and brought it home to find that the only choice of language is dubbed Chinese! Is this some kind of way of trying to prevent piracy? The people at the store are very nice, and took it back, and I picked out another to try - Lady in the Lake i think. They put that one in their machine, and its only in dubbed Chinese as well!

Ive never had this problem before, is this just a rare occurance or some weird new marketing scheme? This is going to make me buy more pirated DVDs, not less...

To be honest I've bought so few (any?) legit dvds over the years that I'm not sure what's normal - I think usually you get both language tracks though. There have been a couple of deals signed lately for distribution of low-cost legit dvds in China, and it could be a ploy by the studios to make sure these movies don't make their way back to the US or elsewhere via Ebay, etc.

What's with legit English DVDs only in dubbed Chinese?
My first thought would be that they're not legit :mrgreen:

Out of curiosity, how do you know that this store only has legit DVDs? They must be just about the only store in China that does if that's true.

Well, they say theyre legit, they have a terrible selection of DVDs to sell, and the DVDs are of a much better quality then the pirated ones I usually get. The DVDs are also actually in boxes on the shelves at the front of the store rather than in plastic sheaths in a cardboard box under the counter in back.

I think they make most of their money through rentals, because they have a huge selection of those.

I'm curious to see if their business model will work. Personally I'm willing to pay 15 kuai for a legit DVD from a store that is friendly and willing to give me my money back if I'm not happy with it, than pay 5 kuai to the guy on the corner who might not be there the next day, and whose discs work 4 out of 5 times with sometimes crappy quality, or that have menus in russian.

• 4 weeks later...