Chinese-Forums

visa application from nd

L-F-J

i'm currently living in north dakota now. i'd like to ask what i have to do to get a tourist visa to china. i'm going for a chinese style wedding there and some travelling. but the thing is i think the embassy in washington dc is where i have to apply. i'd really rather not have to go there in person because it'll cost me travelling money just to get there.

is there a way i can get my visa without travelling across the country and spending a fourtune?

thanks! :mrgreen:

You should be able to engage the services of a travel agent who handles visa applications. They can fulfill the requirement to appear in person for you, as your agent. Google D.C. travel agents offering visa services. I think there might be a Chinese consulate in Houston or somewhere close to there, though. If so, agents there might be cheaper than D.C.?

ange9s You can find many companies like this: http://passportexpress.com/ that will expedite the visa for a fee. If you do decide to go in person, you can go to the Chinese consulate in Chicago.

I agree that the best way to obtain a tourist visa to China is through an agent. Just one minor correction, as far as I know, unless you are a designated agent to process Chinese visas, The Chinese Consulate does not allow for walk-in applications. This is at least the case for both San Francisco and Los Angeles. I could be wrong for other locations like DC and Houston.

I don't understand what you mean 1on1Mandarin. Last month I walked into the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco and applied for a visa. Took a total of 3 minutes to submit the application, and one minute to collect it 3 days later. Stamp, stamp, stamp.

my understanding is they ONLY allow walk-in processing, either by the person

requesting the visa, or by a designated agent. they do not allow mailed applications.

if you live 500 miles from the nearest consulate, it's well worth the $50 (?) fee to

avoid the long drive and several nights in a hotel.

My mistake. It is true that walk-in's ARE allowed. Now that I think about it the reason why I thought that you had to use an agent is because there is no consulate near me and using an agent was the only option for me. I was originally hoping that I would be able to apply for it myself to save on agent fees and just pay for the flat visa fee by mailing it in, but as we all know now it is not allowed.

Sorry for the confusion guys.