Chinese-Forums

How to apply?

orangutan

OK, part of this at least is a really basic question - but I can't find the answer easily by browsing the web. I want to go to study Chinese in Beijing for a year from September and as I understand it the fees for each term shouldn't be more than about £500. But the websites of BCLU and BNU are of no use in finding out detailed information about their language courses, including the costs and how to apply. There are lots of Western companies offering to sign you up to courses at universities in Beijing, but they all charge about 5 times what I believe the price should be.

How can I get more information about the course on offer, including the fees, and apply?

I am currently studying Chinese in Tainan, Taiwan.

Also, can anyone tell me, do any of the university language schools in Beijing offer one-to-one tuition, say for two hours a day, five days a week - that's what I'm doing in Tainan and it works very well.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

hey orangutan!

Don't worry, all the information is on the website. I recently applied to BLCU's 4 week program, without my university's affiliation or through any website. Here's the page with a detailed listing of their fees.

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/lzb/lx/english/fees.htm

and the price, like you said,

shouldn't be more than about £500

Since you're already studying mandarin in Taiwain, you can just give them a quick call and let them know of your situation. They may want you to mail/fax a copy of your student enrollment certificate at your current school and you have to pay 600RMB as an application fee. It took me over a month of calling/sending/faxing to finally receive confirmation of my enrollment. All the best of luck to you!

Also, can anyone tell me, do any of the university language schools in Beijing offer one-to-one tuition, say for two hours a day, five days a week - that's what I'm doing in Tainan and it works very well.

I think they do. But so do lots of private language schools, some of them in Haidian, so I don't think you'll have trouble finding 1-1 tuition. There's info to be found by searching the forum for 'language school beijing' &/ the schools in this thread.