Chinese-Forums

Help in finding source for terra cotta warriors

conner_9a5

I have started purchasing Chinese stone carvings and terra cotta for landscaping my new property. I recently heard about the terra cotta warriors from Xi’an China. Does anyone know a website that sells high quality authentic warriors from Xi’an that I could purchase for my garden?

By authentic I guess you mean "looks real" - unless you have enough juice to sponsor a heist from the museum itself I guess you won't get a truly authentic one! :wink:

The Museum's official website has an on-line shop: http://www.bmy.com.cn/eshop/index1.asp

Bear in mind you will pay an enormous premium buying from the museum - the stuff in the shops there was hugely hugely marked up from the exact same stuff you could buy in the car park (for the little warrior figures) and in Xi'an shops (for the little tackers and the human-sized ones). 1500 yuan for a 55cm (1.5 foot) warrior is an absolute outrage really. The exact same dude in a shop in Xi'an would have been much, much less, probably well below 100 if you really bargained hard.

For some reason they've included statistics on the website: today's visitors over 27,000, but today's orders, 0. That ought to indicate something in and of itself!

But anyway I guess you're not in Xi'an so you may have to go with what you can get.

Good luck. I am sure some warriors would look pretty cool in a garden. They'd keep the burglars away no doubt!

There was another thread, exactly the same opening post (which means it must be fake as you can't have "just heard about" something, twice), about 2 months ago.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/10824-help-in-finding-source-for-terracotta-warriors&highlight=terracotta