Chinese-Forums

Question about Computer Software in China

Lindsay

Hi,

I need to buy a new MS Office package. My dilemma is whether I should buy it in the states or buy it in China 2 weeks from now? Should I go to silicon valley in haidian district?

I recently had my laptop's hard drive reimaged and IBM techs wiped out everything, as promised. I am a business student so I am nothing without excel and powerpoint. I tried to get a replacement CD through IBM since I'm under their warranty but nobody seems to know where to transfer me to. I've called just about everybody and their moms over there and still no luck of ever finding the correct Software support line.

Usually you get the serial number in a .txt file on the CD, or it's 'fixed' to not ask for it - I installed XP once from the 'Official Shanghai Government Version! Quick, Convenient, No Need for Serial Number or Registration!'

Make sure you get the language version you want - English will be available, but you migth need to ask around a bit more. Even if you can't see it on display, ask - most places will have folders full of CDs they can copy for you.

While not condoning piracy, of course.

I'd say the difference between RMB30 and RMB10 in USD is negligible when the cost of a full license for MS Office in the States runs $300+... So, the difference between ~$1 and ~$4 after the currency conversion (10 and 30 RMB, respectively) isn't going to be balked at.

Usually you get the serial number in a .txt file on the CD, or it's 'fixed' to not ask for it - I installed XP once from the 'Official Shanghai Government Version! Quick, Convenient, No Need for Serial Number or Registration!'

Make sure you get the language version you want - English will be available, but you migth need to ask around a bit more. Even if you can't see it on display, ask - most places will have folders full of CDs they can copy for you.

While not condoning piracy, of course.

I would be rather careful using stuff like this. It is not at all unusual for copies like this to be completely unpatchable by Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, which means you could have some significant holes for worms / viruses.

A friend used a copy like this, connected to the internet, and wound up with 9 virus / worm / spyware infections in 3 days. In some cases there is no need for you to open a virus-infected file... remote network exploits also exist in unpatched windows versions. China has rampant worm / virus infections throughout the country... in part because of the use of "grey-market" windows versions.

Back to the original question... if you want some free MS Office compatible software, try using OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/). I use it almost exclusively, and it is very compatible with MS Office. BTW, it also does a pretty good job with Simplified Chinese...

YMMV... Cheers,

m

Why you want to break the law when you can get OpenOffice completely legal and for free?

http://www.openoffice.org

It open all MS office apps. and you can save in all MS office formats.

Everybody complains constantly about MS, but does not look for alternatives. For most application you get nowadays open source versions. Recently I also set up one PC with Linux, it runs well too.

So, the difference between ~$1 and ~$4 after the currency conversion (10 and 30 RMB, respectively) isn't going to be balked at.

I think we can all do the arithmetic, but I thought it might be useful for Lindsay to know that RMB10 was on the low side to save unnecessary bargaining...

I would be rather careful using stuff like this. It is not at all unusual for copies like this to be completely unpatchable by Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, which means you could have some significant holes for worms / viruses.

That's a fair point, especially if you are buying a complete OS. I have a pirate version of XP installed on my laptop (it did have a legit installation, but I don't have the disk and when it went ah I don't need to explain it. I use pirate software sometimes, shoot me) and it's still happily downloading updates but right enough, it could stop anytime.

Everybody complains constantly about MS, but does not look for alternatives. For most application you get nowadays open source versions. Recently I also set up one PC with Linux, it runs well too.

Hardly anyone complains about MS in my experience - XP is very stable, MS software does pretty much what you need it to. If I was ever in a position to need to buy retail office software I might think again, but until then . . .

I use pirate software sometimes, shoot me) and it's still happily downloading updates but right enough, it could stop anytime.

You are in much better shape since you are getting official patches from Microsoft. Perhaps the "Official Shanghai Govt" version is a volume license the city purchased from MS... technically that would not be a pirate copy... it is likely that someone violated the license agreement by selling to you.

My friend paid 100 RMB for an "official copy" and received a pirated version with rather sharp fangs... Windows Firewall missing, no reminders for virus scanning, no automatic updates... in fact you couldn't enable any of that stuff. It's really a crime when you consider the price and what was received... you could pay that much and get a legitimate copy.

MS software does pretty much what you need it to. If I was ever in a position to need to buy retail office software I might think again, but until then . . .

Point is that MS Office is really overblown. It slows down the PC a lot with a trillion function you don't need. Openoffice is simply slimmer and works faster.

Linux is great, but not really user friendly (and I consider myself a PC expert). Linux does has great community support, which you need often too.

Try OpenOffice, http://www.openoffice.org