Chinese-Forums

Chinese simplified characters?

ziyi star

right now i'm studying pronounciation with listening mp3 (pimsleur, chinesepod, etc) and learning pinyin. after thinking a lot about chinese characters, i decided that it was a good idea to study them too. the thing is that as a self-taught student, it's a bit difficult for me... so i wanted to ask you if you have any advice. i really want to learn the chinese characters (simplified), so what would you reccomend me to start with: radicals, simple words? :help

thanx :)

Simple words would be best, in my opinion, because as you learn the words you will learn the radicals. Radicals are the keys to looking the words up in the dictionary first and foremost. They also can convey meaning and pronunciation among other things, but those rules are less solid. Also, as you learn words you will start to notice radicals, and that many Chinese characters are similar radicals put together in different ways, such as the word 赢 (ying2, to win) it looks really complex, but when you look at it closer you'll notice that it is a moon, a shell, and a few other things of which I'm not sure the name but know from other characters. So, in turn learning characters will help you more than just looking at the radicals.