Chinese-Forums

enter at Shanghai without a visa!

Jonny Wang

According to this article in the China Daily: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-01/26/content_793139.htm

Foreigners can enter China at Shanghai without a visa and stay for up to 48 hours. I've never heard of this before. So can tourists come to Shanghai without a visa, and just get a visa once they arrive? If so, is it easy? Where do they go to get a tourist visa?

Take a look -> English / Chinese

For the convenience of foreigners traveling to China, Shanghai authority offered 48-hour transit visa-free service to foreigners from Japan, Korea, Singapore, USA and some European countries who are connecting flights at Hongqiao and Pudong Airport starting on Jan. 1, 2000.
为方便外国人来华,上海自2000年1月1日开始,对日本、韩国、新加坡以及欧洲部分国家的外国人从上海虹桥、浦东国际机场过境实施48小时过境免办签证。

The IATA visa database, which is what airline staff check, shows that the 48-hour stopover is still allowed at Shanghai:

" . . . if arriving at and departing from Shanghai Hongqiao or Pu Dong airports visa not required provided continuing to a third country within 48 hours and holding confirmed onward ticket and all documents required for next destination."

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp

According to the UK Foreign Office Travel Advice for China:

British nationals require visas to enter China. Visas cannot be obtained on arrival except at Hainan Island. Carefully check your visa validity as fines can be levied for overstaying.

I wouldn't risk it though.

For the convenience of foreigners traveling to China, Shanghai authority offered 48-hour transit visa-free service to foreigners from Japan, Korea, Singapore, USA and some European countries who are connecting flights at Hongqiao and Pudong Airport starting on Jan. 1, 2000.

为方便外国人来华,上海自2000年1月1日开始,对日本、韩国、新加坡以及欧洲部分国家的外国人从上海虹桥、浦东国际机场过境实施48小时过境免办签证。

Interesting the Chinese version doesn't mention the US.

This looks/feels/reads like the same laws the Japanese governement have written re: staying in Japan more than the time of the layover of the flight. While there you can apply for a short term visa to stay in Japan for up to 5 days (I think) but even so, when you set foot on the airplane to go to your ultimate destination you have to show a valid visa for your ultimate destination.

It sounds like the officials in Shanghai are trying to find a way to bleed more tourist money out of people :)

• 1 year later...

So has anyone ever actually done this? I am planning on going to Thailand for a few weeks at the end of semester, but since I already have a ticket back to Australia from Shanghai, I figured I could 'transit' through there for a couple of days afterwards.

(Ie I'm hoping to not have to apply for a new visa in Bangkok just for the sake of a couple of days.)

You might be allowed to transit for up to 48 hours, but not leave the airport.

Depending on how much you like airport lounges, it would probably be worth looking into it more closely and applying for a "proper" visa if you actually want to see Shanghai.