Chinese-Forums

Looking-up Differences Between Taiwan Mandarin vs. Mainland Mandarin

Luobot

I’m looking for an online listing of Mandarin words that are pronounced differently in Taiwan versus mainland China (preferably using Pinyin to show the different pronunciation). This could be a simple listing of just those words that are pronounced differently, or it could be a full Taiwanese-oriented Mandarin-Pinyin dictionary.

Does anyone know of such a link to something online where I can lookup differences?

wai ming - Thanks for the link, but I'm afraid that Pinyin is my best (no, actually my only) pronunciation tool.

HashiriKata - I did a quick search before posting, and just now I did a more thorough thread by thread search. I did find the following:

http://zhongwen.com/x/guopu.htm

But I'd still like to find a dictionary lookup or something in the following format, where the dot.dot.dots are pinyin words.

Mainland Mandarin Taiwan Mandarin

----------------------- ---------------------

........................... .......................

........................... .......................

So the search goes on ...

Not on-line, but exactly what your are looking for, is the 两岸现代汉语常用词典 "Dictionary of Modern Chinese Across the Straits" available at http://www.chinabooks.com/cart/product.php?productid=18607&cat=8&page=1 and many other places.

This wonderful dictionary compares Chinese as used in Taiwan and the mainland, showing the traditional/simplified character equivalences, the pronounciation differences, even which words are more popular in which area. A very useful dictionary for people who deal with both the mainland and Taiwan.

A Taiwan-published version of this also came out recently.