Chinese-Forums

New Zealand Converter Plug

Kiwijes

Hi, it's 2 weeks until I make the move to China and I have just had a mad panic because I cannot get a NZ/China converter plug for my laptop. I have read posts on here about how it is easy to get American plug converter, but does anyone know about the availability of a NZ one?

My laptop has the standard "earthed" 3 prong NZ plug and the earthed bit is my problem as I can only buy in NZ a 2 prong converter.

Will I be able to buy a NZ converter in China if it is an earthed 3 prong, and the China plug is generally an unearthed 2 prong??

Also, I have heard that China has many different kinds of sockets depending on where they are. Does anybody know what the standard Chinese socket looks like in Jiangsu?

Sorry, I am guessing that no-one's an electrician and that there probably arent too many NZ'ers on here, but any help would be hugely appreciated!

The three prong plugs in New Zealand and mainland China are almost exactly the same. The actual blades don't ever have the holes through them if you buy things in mainland China. The socket is the same shape.

In any case, if you come across an oddball plug wherever you happen to be, a quick trip to the local electronics shop/Carrefour/etc will solve your problems. Power strips in China can accept just about any type of plug.

Everything you ever wanted to know about electric plugs used in countries around the world can be found here. The two plug shapes that are common in China are this one, and this one. New Zealand uses the first kind, and because the voltages are the same, you can just plug in any electrical device and it should work. In Australia we also use this type of plug, and none of my stuff has ever had a problem.