Chinese-Forums

How long does it take?

Kristyx

I want to apply to study for a semester in China. The application deadline is Tuesday, and term starts in four weeks. I'd have to give four weeks notice to quit my job, meaning that I'd have to do that in the next few days. The thing that's worrying me is that the website says they will acknowledge receipt of your application in a couple of days, and then it takes 30 days from that time to let you know if you have a place on the course, receive admission notice etc. The problem is, I'd need to be on a plane in about 3 1/2 weeks. I'd obviously need to know I had a place on the course before quitting my job etc. Also, do I need the admission notice before I can apply for my visa? (I think an F visa is needed as it's only five months study)

Has anyone had any experience of deciding last minute to study in China for a semester, and if so did the application take as long as they state on the website? (I'm planning to study in Xiamen)

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldn't worry about it so much. most universities application processes for international students seem to be pretty lax; particularly if your goal is just to "study in china" you could just book your ticket, come over, and find a program that suits you. plenty of universities take mid-semester applicants as well (though you might annoy your classmates that way).

if you specifically want to study at one particular university, however, you'd better get them to answer all your questions--start e-mailing them, and if they don't reply, well, i'd take that as a sign.