Chinese-Forums

Free Online Picture Albums - Recommendations?

doumeizhen

To this point I have already stored my pictures (and there are many) on three different websites (to make them available for public viewing) and it seems that all of these problems have some kind of problem connecting readily while in China. While I'm patient, I just don't have ten minutes to wait for my login-page to load... :(

So, I'd like to know, what website do you use to put up your pictures? (from China)

Thank you for any recommendations!

Flickr I'm a big fan of, as it makes uploading (via email if you want) very easy, decent sets / tagging and good blog integration. Not really familiar with any of the other options though. Flickr is usually fine from China, but has been knocked out this last month it seems.

You can also try Google's Picasa:

http://picasa.google.com/web/learn_more_picasa.html

With Picasa Web Albums, you get 250MB of free storage--enough to post and share approximately 1,000 photos for free. But it's so easy to put your photos online that you just might want more storage. Starting at $25 a year, you can upgrade to an additional 6GB of space (25,000 photos' worth).

A relevant question for those who know yahoo photos well. I keep my photos (several hundreds of them) with yahoo photos but would like to transfer them to another yahoo account. Is there a clever way to do it instead of uploading them all again to the new account?

Also, what are the main differences between flickr and new yahoo photos? AFAIK, they are (1) flickr keeps photos in their original sizes whereas yahoo does not; (2) flickr makes blogging about a photo easier (whatever this means); (3) flickr has a limit for each free account whereas yahoo doesn't ... Right?

Thanks for the recommendations!

I was very interested in Picasa, but it doesn't seem to be mac compatible... :(

Roddy... Are there still problems getting to international websites because of the earthquake? If so, maybe I should just stick it out a little longer... Can you make some phonecalls and ask them to speed up repairs?

I was very interested in Picasa, but it doesn't seem to be mac compatible..

You may want to give this new iPhoto plug-in a try:

http://picasa.google.com/web/mac_tools.html

Now there are two easy ways for Mac users to upload photos to Picasa Web Albums -- an iPhoto plug-in and a drag-and-drop standalone application. This one download contains everything you need to get started with either method.

Roddy... Are there still problems getting to international websites because of the earthquake? If so, maybe I should just stick it out a little longer... Can you make some phonecalls and ask them to speed up repairs?

I actually did a couple of days ago, and it all seems fine now.

Flickr was pretty much inaccessible for me during the Internet slowdown, but it's fine now.

Skylee: I'm not familiar with Yahoo's photo service, but things flickr can do is allow people to comment on your photos, you can post your photos to 'groups' so for example if you post a photo of Shanghai you can let everyone else who has joined the 'Shanghai' group find it. And . . . er . . . so on.