Chinese-Forums

A mis-translation?

Guest danjevans

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or a stupid question but a chinese friend recently sent me an email containing a phrase that I have been unable to understand. A search on google turned the phrase up 3 times so I can't put it down to spelling error. So, does anyone know what my friend means when she says "beard the palm internationally"?

The context is chinese and international films.

Thanks in advance,

-Dan Evans

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or a stupid question but a chinese friend recently sent me an email containing a phrase that I have been unable to understand. A search on google turned the phrase up 3 times so I can't put it down to spelling error. So' date=' does anyone know what my friend means when she says "beard the palm internationally"?

The context is chinese and international films.

Thanks in advance,

-Dan Evans[/quote']

beard =? build

palm =? tree

internationally =? worldwide??

build tree worldwide? (become more famous?)

to gain worldwide recognition for achievement?

建樹 (jian4 shu4) (literally, "construct trees")

we probably need more context. like the sorrounding setences.

welcome! :)

Thanks for the reply, we were talking about western films in China and Chinese films in the west:

"I wonder, why didn't English TV station import modern Chinese films. Recent years many Chinese films have beard the palm internationally. Maybe it is a kind of news-blank off."

Thanks again,

-Dan Evans

Thanks for the reply' date=' we were talking about western films in China and Chinese films in the west:

"I wonder, why didn't English TV station import modern Chinese films. Recent years many Chinese films have beard the palm internationally. Maybe it is a kind of news-blank off."

Thanks again,

-Dan Evans[/quote']

Ya. :) This is Engrish. < http://www.engrish.com/ >

<loose translation>

"I wonder why English TV has not imported modern Chinese films. In recent years many Chinese films have gained international recognition. Perhaps there is a news blackout."

</translation>

... the actual problem is that our TV quality has decreased. you can also see good movies on Cable stations...

you can see films like Yi Yi, May and August, etc... on those special film channels...