Chinese-Forums

Cycling past Tiananmen

roddy

For no good reason other than that I was talking about this earlier:

How many films can you think of which feature characters cycling past Tiananmen. It seems to happen in films much more than you would expect, often in a geographically implausible manner.

I could only come up with two and two maybes though. I'm sure there must be lots more I've seen but can't name.

Keep Cool (有话好好说). After Jiang Wen and Qu Ying get off the bus and he chases her by bike. Why didn't she just stay on the bus until she got where she was going?

Beijing Rocks(北京乐与路). Haven't seen this for years, but I think it's after the gang go out drinking in what is meant to be around Wudaokou? Must have been pretty drunk to get that far.

And two I'm not sure about

Beijing Bicycle (十七岁的单车): Surely they must?

I can't remember the name of this film. It's about two (?) kids who are given the job of catching bicycle(?) thieves, with a reward for each one they catch. I've got a feeling this has a chase scene past there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't watched Beijing Bicycle for ages- some so-called friend stole it- but even without Tiananmen I found myself wondering about the Beijing they were bicycling through. I seem to remember scenes where they manage to get through hutongs from the northeast corner of Gugong/southeast corner of Jingshan up past Houhai without ever crossing a major road. Last I checked, that was physically impossible.

You watched it again?

Hehe...I thought that was a great movie, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again either.

Haven't watched Beijing Bicycle for ages- some so-called friend stole it-

Did you steal it back, and then get into a prolonged fight over who is the real owner of the DVD?

• Like 1

Maybe he's still searching everywhere to see which DVD has the correct scratch on it :mrgreen:

Hehe...I thought that was a great movie

I didn't think it was bad movie, I just thought it was a depressing movie. I'm still in two minds about whether or not it was great. As far as movies go, there's something to be said for a movie that can still leave a strong impression on you years after you've seen it. Unfortunately with Beijing Bicycle, it's exploring themes that leave the viewer feeling angry and upset at the cruelty and hopelessness of the world.

That's far more than can be said for the countless bad movies I've seen and forgotten about since then and so I'm reluctant to call it a bad movie, even though it didn't necessarily provide me with an enjoyable viewing experience.

That being said, it's still a movie I'll recommend to people (especially those interested in China) although I will usually let them know not to expect a happy, lovely story. Seeing it once is probably enough though.

That being said, it's still a movie I'll recommend to people (especially those interested in China) although I will usually let them know not to expect a happy, lovely story.

Which movie would you recommend as a happy, lovely story? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Trouble is, I can't figure out which "friend" took my copy...... Or if it's one of those disks that was stored at the in-laws place and disappeared...... I had several good films that did that while they were stored there. Not blaming the in-laws, but some of the neighbours, perhaps, may not be so trustworthy.

And all of this is important because it's a bloody good film that I like a lot and would happily watch again. Sure, it's depressing, but if I wanted sappy happy endings in all of my films and stick with Hollywood.

Only drawback is they don't race their bikes past Tiananmen. No film is complete without people cycling past Tiananmen.

Oh, so now your in-laws steal your stuff? No wonder you like Beijing Bicycle, must seem like a breath of fresh air :wink:

I can't remember the name of this film. It's about two (?) kids who are given the job of catching bicycle(?) thieves, with a reward for each one they catch. I've got a feeling this has a chase scene past there.

Any ideas on this one?

Which movie would you recommend as a happy, lovely story?

King of Masks (No Tiananmen of course)

The Great Wall (1986) (Which I think is an American movie that takes place in China...and they must drive past Tiananmen)

For those of you who want something to add to your depressing movie list:

Xiu Xiu

(no Tiananmen here either)

In 'Xinjiekou', do they ride past Tiananmen at all? That one was kinda a fun movie besides someone getting axed in it....ughh

Edited by heifeng
hahaha silly typo

• 1 year later...

Digging up this old thread to report that yesterday I saw Summer Palace and the two main characters indeed cycle past Tiananmen. Despite the big hype of how this movie is about 6-4, this is the only scene at the square in that movie. 6-4 does play a role, but the movie is mostly about a young woman who wants something Grand in her life, and finds the drama she was looking for. Good movie, I liked it a lot.

• 4 months later...