Chinese-Forums

Importing Excel lists into Supermemo 2004 question

arozenshtein

So I just bought a copy of Supermemo 2004, and I'm looking forward to starting memorizing Chinese with it. I have some data in Excel that I want to import, but I don't know how to do it. My spreadsheets are pretty simple. The first column is Chinese characters, the next column is pinyin, and the third column is the English definition. How would I go about importing it into Supermemo?

Thanks!

this link may help: http://wiki.supermemo.org/index.php?title=Using_MSExcel_for_Q%26A_files

I had a similar spreadsheet, but only two columns. anyway, following the advice from the link above (eg copying it into Word, replacing tab marks with paragraph marks, returning it to excel, all quite fiddly) I ended up with an excel sheet that looked like (without the "....."):

(Line number)...Column A....Column B

1.....................Q:...............blah blah question

2.....................A:...............blah blah answer

3.....................Q:...............blah blah second question

4.....................A:...............blah blah second answer

and I could import this quite easily.

there may be a much neater solution but I couldn't find a way to import unless I used this format.

realmayo, will it work with the "line number" column in there? I just

1. get my spreadsheet in the form:

Q: xxx

A: xxx

Q: xxx

A: xxx

(there are several ways to make this happen fairly easily; let us know if you need help with this)

2. copy the whole thing into notepad & save

3. import into sm using import Q&A text

(note, depending on encoding, you may need to uncheck the decode unicode button, or whatever it's called)

Thanks for all the replies! I've been using it now for a few days. It's quite a program, though I'm getting seriously hammered with the repetitions. As it turns out, importing a thousand item excel list all in one go is a bad idea...This may call for redoing in small chunks.