Chinese-Forums

What should I expect - living with Chinese family

Impala1ss

While I am in Beijing attending BLCU in March, I will be living with a Chinese family in a Homestay program. While I'm looking forward to this unique experience, I wonder what it will be like. Has anyone done this? Was it like you expected? Better? Worse. What didn't you expect the you had to live with? How was the food they prepared for you? ANything else you can elaborate on to help me prepare for this adventure?:help

I hope you're going to enjoy it.

I had my first Japanese homestay back in 1998!

I had whale (kujira) and dolphin (iruka) for sashimi (raw fish) (sh)

It wasn't too bad! He he... :wink: I wanted to try the pufferfish (fugu) though! :)

My advice for you:- don't expect too much and just enjoy yourself!

Mutual respect and understanding are very important.

Remember, beggers can't be choosers?! :mrgreen:

Let me know if you enjoy the dog meat! Ha ha.. Just kidding :wink:

K.

Impala1ss, my method of coping with unfamiliar culture or family is to think that whatever I'm presented with, I'm there to learn and to experience; and not there to judge. I think this attitude will help go beyond most things and enjoy your experience.

I wanted to try the pufferfish (fugu) though! :)
No problems, Koneko! I'll personally prepare one for you. My fugu is very safe as well. So far, only seven have lost their life trying my fugu. So even if you're the next to join them, you certainly won't be alone! :mrgreen:

i'm also staying with a chinese family for the first 4 months. i think a lot of the experience will end up depending on how well you and your family click.

impala1ss - did you go through a company to find your family? i went through lotus. have you got the details of your family yet? mine is a couple with a 10 year old daughter, they said i'll be 15min by bike from BLCU, but i'm not sure how accurate that is. and i thought it was rather cold in beijing around this time? am i really gonna be wanting to ride a bike for the next few months does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

toygirl - found out my "family" is a 31 yr old couple with new baby and mother is staying there to help with babysitting. The apartment sounds large and I will have my own bedroom and bathroom. Heard anyone talking about a get together of those starting around Mar. 1st. I'll be in Beijing ffrom Feb 21-25 staying in a hotel while I get accustomed to the city, and will be with the family from Feb. 25 - April 1 when I leave.