Chinese-Forums

gap fillers

L-F-J

i feel like when i talk about a subject in chinese my sentences dont always connect naturally. its like reading from a book or something. in english we use gap fillers or conjunctions, which can become bad habits but usually they can be dropped easily if you're giving a formal speech. they're semi-intentional. but in everyday conversation they are quite useful and frequent. we have gap fillers and conjunctions such as:

you know... i mean... yeah, so... like... but, you know.

when changing subject or the topic is still related but flowing from the previous we can say:

and so.. anyway.. etc..

what are the gap fillers in chinese? i feel like i need them to make my speech more natural. especially when i'm not so great at explaining something its a good way to get the point across or have the listener actively think about what i mean, rather than me just standing there between sentences.

you know... 众所皆知,+ sentence or sentence

i mean... 我的意思是 + sentence

yeah, so... 对,所以+sentence

like... 就像+sentence

but, you know....但(是),你要知道+ sentence (It is a little bit unpoliteness, most use in aguing.)

but.....但是

becase of.....因为(啊——)+sentence

and so....因此+sentence

anyway....反正+sentence

lazy conjunction, but very usefull:

for dedail:然后(啊——)

for reson:因为(啊——)

for explaining:酱子(=这样子)<-dont write 酱子in homework or any other formally

writing.Teacher will kill you!Just for speaking,OK?:)

for chage topic:不过

well... thinking about these, they are all pretty literal translations and we do hear them often, but i was wondering if there are other specifically "chinese" gap fillers, if you know what i mean. usually we can hear people (usually non-chinese) saying a lot of 这个这个那个那个... lol, but i hate that.

那个那个那个那个那个那个那个……

Don't hate it. Love the 那个. Just remember to pronounce it "neige."

It also seems to be in vogue to say "um," like in English. I can't tell why it's so close to English (while the neutral vowel in Chinese is the same as English, they don't normally go for syllable-final m's), but I hear it on some TV shows and recordings.

You can also generally use 连词 such as 然后, 而且, etc. with an added 呢. Especially 然后.