Chinese-Forums

how close is this to blcu?

toygirl

I just got the info for the family that i'll be staying with, they gave me the address. can anyone tell me how far away from blcu this is? they're telling me its a 15min bike ride, is that true? is there a bus or train i can take anywhere near?

Yi Cheng Dong Yuan”, Xue Qing Road, Haidian district, Beijing.

Last time I looked Google Earth didn't have the names of Beijing apartment blocks or streets marked on in Chinese, let alone pinyin, so it hardly gets anyone closer to the answer.

Quick google throws up 逸成东苑 as the characters - anyone know that actual place? There are a couple of maps, but nothing very clear.

i'm guessing that's a map of the area.... with directions from the apt to blcu.... although i don't read chinese that well yet :help

but it's ok, i'll take your word for it, if you say 15 min by bike, that sounds great! anyone out there know if i'll acutally want to ride a bike right now? sounds like it's pretty cold over there still....

thanks for the help!!!

I cycled all throughout January once at -10C. You just peddle faster to warm up :)

You need good gloves and socks. And a warm hat. Or, you can wear a parket coat like the locals all seem to wear. The trick is to pull the hood up as far as it goes, so you have no peripheral vision at all. Then you cycle slowly along hoping nothing hits you from the side.

Beijing is not actually so cold this year - as long as there isn't a strong wind, cycling is fine.

i stayed there when i was at blcu last year

east gate of blcu is xue qing lu going north

yi cheng dong yuan is the last housing complex on the left side near the top of the road

it's a nice complex, modern with security & some shops inside

nice gardens for people to stroll around with their little chinese dogs & for the community to do their daily tai chi & dancing

15 min walk to blcu at a very fast pace, i took me 40mins to get to wudaokou station & i walk fast. i would give about 30mins to walk to blcu

(i'd insert a photo if i knew how?)

i really enjoyed my stay there

anyone out there know if i'll acutally want to ride a bike right now? sounds like it's pretty cold over there still....

It's been a mild winter. If you're going to be here long enough, I'd be more worried about turning up to class covered in sweat and grime in the summer.

(i'd insert a photo if i knew how?)

Look for the 'Manage Attachments' button under 'Additional Options' when you make a post.

I live quite close to there as well. It's a nice area. It's far enough away from Wudaokou that you don't feel stuck in that place, but near enough to get there any time you like. A ten kuai fare, or a 10 minute bike ride. Around 25-30 mins on foot.

Even though I agree that suggesting Google Earth was collossally unhelpful, PM me if you would like a google earth place marker for my place (which is within half a block of yours) so you can see where it is relative to WDK, the subway, etc. I can also email you a map I made (a jpeg) which shows the local area, a few good things (like decent restuarants etc). I made it to give couchsurfers.

good luck.