Chinese-Forums

Jade

Ian_Lee

What kind of jewelry can be found in Asian jewelry store but not western jewelry store?

Jade.

In fact, jade has a long history in China. In a chengyu story, jade was worth three castles in the Spring and Autumn period.

Actually westerners are fascinated by jade too. In HK, there is a whole street with jade stalls lining on both sides. That is a frequent destination for western tourists.

Since jade can be easily faked, one of the frequent questions I am asked in US by American women is about the jade ring or wristlace that she wears.

Most of the high quality Jade in the world are excavated in Myanmar. The Rangoon government auctions jade twice a year and invites buyers from all over the world to participate (I guess that is the only way that they can earn revenue).

I knew a guy who works as a buyer for a jewelry store in HK. His only duty is to go to Rangoon twice a year for the bidding. He told me that the tricky part of the bidding is that the dealers have to bid on the unpolished rocks (with jade inside). Sometimes you may overpay because the jade inside may be of lower quality or smaller in size than what you guess.

It all depends on experience and luck.

You might have already read it, but STONE OF HEAVEN: UNEARTHING THE SECRET HISTORY OF IMPERIAL GREEN JADE is an entertaining and sad read...you might change your mind about the stuff after reading the last part of the book.