Chinese-Forums

Cheque writing

Ian_Lee

Do you ever try writing the dollar amount in Chinese on the cheque that you write?

In Hong Kong, cheques written in either Chinese or English is acceptable by the bank. But I have a tendancy to write in English since I have to write in the classical Chinese characters for numerals which sometimes I am not too sure.

(Even in English, I am still not too sure if it is ninty or ninety. But my experience tells that HK banks and US banks will accept cheques written in either ninty or ninety.)

So how do other places that use Chinese characters write cheques?

I am pretty sure Taiwan or Macau is the same as HK. Probably cheques written in English is not accepted by the former while cheques written in Portuguese is accepted by the latter.

How about Mainland? Do they write classical or common Chinese characters for numerals on the cheque? (But the latter is very easy to modify since anyone can put an across stroke on 1 & 2)

Another place I am perplexed is Japan. Their paper currency uses the classical Chinese characters for numerals. But do their kids ever learn the classical in addition to common Chinese characters for numerals?

Of course they use the classic forms on the mainland. Every time someone writes out a receipt -- and they seem to write out lots of receipts on the mainland -- you'll notice the scrawl is in classic forms.

By the way, this should be post no. 10,000!

Just curious.

What is the degree of acceptability of personal cheque in Mainland China?

Since the greatest denomination of RMB is 100 and credit card (actually most are debit cards) are still not so popular in Mainland, personal cheque may be a good substitute.

In US, personal checks are over-flooding. I hate waiting behind those customer who buys $5 of grocery but writes a $25 check and asks for $20 cash back at the supermarket counter.

I think 毫 should come before 厘. How come it is the other way around?

毫 refers to 1/10 while 厘 refers to 1/100.

In US currency, 毫 is equivalent to the dime while 厘 refers to the penny.

When I was a kid, HK government used to publish currency denominated in 厘 (1/100 of a dollar). Its sole purpose is for the payment of utilities bill.

But only one side was printed and it looked like exactly the kind of money you used in the monopoly game.

I think 毫 should come before 厘. How come it is the other way around?

毫 refers to 1/10 while 厘 refers to 1/100.

In US currency' date=' 毫 is equivalent to the dime while 厘 refers to the penny.

When I was a kid, HK government used to publish currency denominated in 厘 (1/100 of a dollar). Its sole purpose is for the payment of utilities bill.

But only one side was printed and it looked like exactly the kind of money you used in the monopoly game.[/quote']

i do not really know HK's condition, but in mainland, the order should be:

元 角 分 厘 毫

In HK, personal cheques are used mainly for payment of larger amounts or payment by mail.

Major credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, Diners Club, AMEX) are very popular. Many people have more than one card. In the recent, many shops also accept VISA Cash (signature not required) for small payments (e.g. I can buy a cup of coffee of HKD25 at Starbucks using VISA card).

Another mode of payment is by a preloaded smart card called "Octopus". It is used mostly to pay for transport charges, but is also accepted in supermarkets, fast food chains, etc.

Other than cheque writing, I am also curious about how the bank tellers count money.

In HK & US, the bank tellers count the money by using index finger to flip through a whole stack of money.

But in Japan and South Korea, the bank tellers like to open a whole stack of money into fan shape, and then count it by each five or ten.

How does Mainland bank teller count money? Since the largest RMB denomination is only 100, it must take them longer time to count.