Chinese-Forums

Seeking help with a translation

Levares

One of my co-workers is retiring this month, and somehow the idea of making a banner in Chinese for her going away party was unanimously agreed upon. This task was pawned off on me, because I'm known to be somewhat artistic. :lol: Anyways, I'd really appreciate help with this. It would mean a lot to my co-worker.

It isn't anything too complex. I'm just looking for a translation for "Happy Retirement Maria". Also, is there a specific phrase for wishing someone a happy retirement in Chinese culture?

I've also been considering adding a seal (just an imitation) as a signature in an attempt to make it a look a bit more authentic. Would a seal that said "Your friends/from your friends" be okay? If so, what would be the translation for that?

Anyways, I hope this isn't asking too much. Thanks in advance. :)

Hello ...

I think something like

玛丽亚,我们都祝愿你退休后快乐、长寿 。。。

might do.

For the seal, I would suggest you make use of the services offered by http://www.chine-informations.com/mods/outils/calligraphiechinoise/ or http://www.chineseetymology.org/ and consider adding, as a signature, the famous chengyu on longevity, 延年益寿 - from right to left top to bottom of course.

Yoou will find .an illustration of what I have in mind on http://www.jvgruat.com/Chine/seal/

Wish you nice party !

Okay, one last question. :)

I wouldn't mind using traditional Chinese characters. I found a converter at: http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/converter-simptrad.html

Converting: 玛丽亚,我们都祝愿你退休后快乐、长寿 。。。

The result is: 瑪麗亞,我們都祝願你退休后快樂、長壽 。。。

Is that a correct conversion? I'm a bit hesitant about trusting an automated translator, since they're usually not perfect.

Levares: "The result is: 瑪麗亞,我們都祝願你退休后快樂、長壽 。。。"

What makes things a bit complicated, is that not all variants are recognized in all fonts ...

As for the above, I would think 祝 should be written with 示 - which requires for example a Mingliu font to become visible. This font also accepts 妳 - which I think could be used, since although both variants are considered as "rare" you are still in a kind of formal-friendly mixed exercise.

As for 后, definitely should be 後. Otherwise, you are talking to someone like the Retirement Queen - which Maria will be on that very day, of course, but does not correspond to the message you intend to convey.

Incidentally, DimSum - accessible from Mandarin Tools - produced conversion all right. One of my preferred software ...

Thanks for the continued efforts everyone. :)

DimSum does indeed seem very useful. I love how it gives a breakdown on what everything means. It's a lot better than the web-based converter that I found hehe.

So in the end, "瑪麗亞,我們都示願你退休後快樂、長壽 。。。 " is the accurate conversion?

Any objections? :D

瑪麗亞,我們都願你退休後快樂、長壽

What JVGruat means is that the radical in 祝 should be 示, not that you should replace the entire character. Actually I think that although you can try to change it, it's just fine with this radical.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the party has come and gone. It went really well. She got a little misty-eyed when she saw the banner. I really don't think she was expecting that at all. Anyways, I just want to say thanks! I couldn't have done it without you all. Also, a special thanks to JVGruat for all the hard work. The initial translation, the idea for the seal, and sample pictures/explanations helped a lot. :)