Chinese-Forums

Sogou Pinyin IME character correcting blues

Pravit

I finally tried the Sogou Pinyin input. To my surprise, not only was it not loaded with spyware, it also worked a lot better than the default MS Pinyin IME. There's a lot to like about it - more accurate guessing(updated with internet word lists), intuitive one-letter pinyin input(I'm not referring to double pinyin), stroke input methods, and to top it all off, an automatic ASCII art and smiley generator! :lol: The only reason I really got it, though, was the convenience of typing traditional characters by entering Hanyu Pinyin, which doesn't seem to be an option in any of the IMEs that MS provides, sadly enough(how hard could it be to implement?).

The ONLY thing which is keeping me from adopting it and throwing MS Pinyin IME away outright is the difficulty in correcting characters, say for example 哪 and 那. To its credit, it's very good at guessing which one is needed, but on occasion it is wrong.

For example:

他住在河北那个城市?(I mean it to be 哪) - on a side note, I have also noticed that the use of question marks has no effect on any 哪/那 chosen in the sentence.

Using MS Pinyin IME, it's simply a matter of tapping HOME and SPACE until I get to the 那, and picking 哪. However, after fiddling around with preferences and browsing the online help, I am unable to find any similar functionality in Sogou IME. To replace the 那, you have to pick 他住在, then, 河北, then 哪个, then 城市 all over again. So much work for just one character!

There also seems to be no mechanism for specifying which character you mean by tone number(which usually prevents any 哪/那 problems in the MS IME), though you CAN specify through strokes, which I'm still not very used to.

Does anyone else use this IME? Am I mistaken in how you have to correct characters, or is there an easier way?

• 3 weeks later...