Chinese-Forums

Summer '07- New info on affordable Language Courses

skyla

Hi there!

I'm hoping someone has some good advice on the quality of some summer programs. I have searched the posts, but have not found anything recent or applicable.

I am going for 4-5 weeks, and would like a good program that doesn't charge an $2000-$3000. I fly into Shanghai, so I expect to travel further to find a school.

While I've been studying chinese at uni, learning the language is more for personal interest, as I am going into a career in Chinese Medicine. So, I'm more concerned about improving my skills than attending a well-known university.

It will be july/august when I go; I'm happy to go to a smaller city;

cost is a concern (pref. a max of $1500 for a 4 week program);

less pollution would be great (asthmatic);

nightlife, nice- but not necessary; beautiful scenery would be a plus!

I have 2 years university level chinese study.

Does anyone have advice on a reasonable and well organised summer program?

Xiexie,

Cheers,

skyla :wink:

Last year my friend went to a summer program through a company called China Unipath. The program was hosted by Beijing Language and Culture University. There are lots of both positive and negative comments about studying in BLCU out there. Budget was the major reason he chose that company's program, which was about 1500 USD for 4 week. He said the program was rewording and many of his classmates paid a lot more then he for the same thing. Maybe you want to check it out. I don't know the URL. But you can google it.

Thanks Kobe81, appreciate the input. I will give them a google.

Can anyone comment on the quality of Dalian Maritime University? Naturally, they say that it is much cleaner than the other cities--

I would love some feedback on this, and the quality of schools and living there.

Cheers,

skyla

Dalian is a beautiful city and I think that you would have a wonderful time there. The people there speak pretty standard Mandarin as well. I have heard of some Mandarin programs over there, but don't know anyone that has gone through any of them.

One option you might want to consider is to look for smaller private language schools that can customize short term "immersion" programs. You don't necessarily have to go to a smaller city to get affordable training. Granted, you will have to pay for off campus housing, but there can be many affordable options available for your choosing.

On the higher end of the tuition scale, in Beijing at least, you could be paying up to rmb100-110/hr. At 4 hours a day for a 4 week program you'll be looking at about USD 1,000. In addition to a 4 week stay at cheap hotel, you'll be looking at around USD 1,500 for the whole package. And obviously, if you can get in one a one month lease with a couple roommates this price can certainly be lower.

These schools will also have resources to help you visit some of the local sites if you chose.

Hope this helps.

Thanks 1-on-1,

I have had a hard time finding any smaller schools- And after a lot of searching on the forum and the web, have only found broken - or untranslatable links for some universities further south.

Do you have any experience with smaller, contactable private schools?

And, in your opinion, would somewhere further south (perhaps less polluted?) such as Yunnan be a suitable location?

Once again, I'm hoping for reasonable price, and hopefully less clogged air!

Thanks again,

skyla