Chinese-Forums

degree from tsinghua vs. from germany

naturegirl

Hello, I'm currently a chinese born high school student in Germany, and I'd really love to study in china for a few years (and get out of Germany^^) not just chinese language, but an actual major, probably computer science. Since I want to live and work in china later, this would also help my chinese greatly. I also checked out exchange programs, but they are mostly one semester, and that isn't long enough for me. And I don't really like the atmosphere at german universities and couldn't imagine studying there. And I've heard the computer science department is pretty strong in Tsinghua.

Now my question is, whether an undergraduate degree from tsinghua would be so much worse than a degree from germany (TU Munich, probably), considering that I want to work in China later. I've heard that western degrees are considered better, so would it be possible to get a graduate degree afterwards from a western country, like Germany or US? I am also interested in something like environmental engineering for graduate degree, and I believe western countries are stronger in this field.

Thanks in advance, this is my first post, I already checked out a load of threads but didn't really find what I wanted.

Now my question is, whether an undergraduate degree from tsinghua would be so much worse than a degree from germany (TU Munich, probably), considering that I want to work in China later. I've heard that western degrees are considered better, so would it be possible to get a graduate degree afterwards from a western country, like Germany or US?

My view of undergraduate schools is to go somewhere where you have flexibility in case you want to change fields, or that allow you to take courses in other fields without impacting ones ability to complete requirements for your major -- eg ability to take 2 yrs of German and 3 semesters of Chinese while starting out as a Physics major, but then switching to a math major.

I don't really know, but it seems like staying in Europe makes sense if you can get summer jobs or internships over the summer in China, so that you can develop contacts in China. There must be German or European countries or universities that have projects in China where you could work. As far as the quality of a particular major, you should perhaps email (or visit in person) some graduate departments "locally" and see what they say. See if they have any grad students that came from China, and which universities. Do those students go on to get good jobs in industry or academia ....

Yeah, although I don't think the european higher education or esp. in Germany is so flexible like in the US. I was there last year and I noticed that they focused on a broader liberal arts education for the undergraduate propgram. Moreover the whole european higher education system is going through some changes now, and it's rather messy. Well although in china it't probably even less flexible :roll:

But I was there last summer, also did internship and stayed and visited several universities, and I really liked it there. But well, I guess I'm gonna think more about it ^^