Chinese-Forums

China phlegm

randall_flagg

OK, before I go to my local drug store here in China and make a complete fool of myself I though I’d ask the forums. I’ve seen this back home and don’t know what its called, but I want to buy it. What am I talking about? Well, during these last 6 weeks, I’ve been plagued by very, very thick phlegm, somewhere deep down there. Don’t have a cold or anything, its just there and its annoying. Heck, I think I’m even snoring – and I never snore. How do you get rid of your China mucus?

I was thinking about buying one of those thingy-bobbers, you know? You don’t? Well, here I go: It’s a little machine that pumps water into your one nostril, flushing out all the bad stuff that might be stuck down there. I saw it on TV – looks anything but pleasant but I NEED to get rid of that stuff inside me! So, how do you call that thing in Chinese and where to buy it?

Thanks so much, and sorry for being disgusting.

Randall

I have the same problem. It is now 2nd nature to clear my throat about 50 times a day.

You can use a neti pot or a bulb syringe. Neither are machines. I have never seen either in China, but I bet you could find a bulb syringe at a medical supply store.

You can move to Kunming or Qingdao.

Green tea helps clear the phlegm some, that's why Chinese drink it.

I'm in Dalian, so the air is pretty good. I think this might have something to do with the fact that I live right next to the local 锅炉房. Can't do the Green Tea, it makes me sweat and go crazy, when I drink something with caffeine I want to find a monkey and bite it. No monkeys here in Dalian, though. Will look into the other options, hope it'll help.

Also, clearing my throat just won't do it, this stuff is deeeeeep down there, and its preferred way of exiting my body seems to be the nose. But its very passive about getting a move on.