Chinese-Forums

Help with trip to China

OneEye

My wife and I are thinking about taking a short trip to China next summer (2 weeks). We're thinking Beijing, Xian, Guilin/Yangshuo, and Shanghai (probably in that order) in that time. (First question) Is that enough time to get a good taste of all 4 places? We're thinking of spending a little more time in Yangshuo than in the bigger cities, since it's more our type of thing (outdoors, scenery, etc.).

One problem, however, is that my wife is not quite as adventurous as I am (to put it mildly), so she's very worried about the culture shock factor. She also speaks no Mandarin whatsoever, so she's worried about feeling a little lost, although I'd be there to translate for her (hopefully my Mandarin will be good enough by July '08 to not need a tour guide/translator). Add to that the fact that her mom and her friends all say they can't understand why we'd want to go to China instead of, say, Germany or something for our first non-US trip together, and you can see she's a bit tough to convince right now. On the good side, she says she'd love to go to China, she's just a little worried.

To the point, (my second question), can anybody help me with a way to show her that we'd be perfectly fine in China? Maybe a website or something? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, but I figured it was worth asking. I'm sure if anyone knows a decent hotel in any of these places (keeping in mind we're broke newlyweds) that I can show her pictures of, she'd feel better that at least she'd have a nice clean hotel room. Or maybe a website that has train routes between each city (in English if possible, my character knowledge is next to none right now) so she can be reassured that we'll be able to get around and not get lost. I know they're irrational worries, but she doesn't have a whole lot of experience traveling, especially outside the US.

Third question, I'm having a hard time finding if Mandarin is the main language in Guilin and Yangshuo. I'm pretty sure it is, or that at least I'd be able to get by in those places with Mandarin, but I figured someone here would know better. Also, will Beijing be too crowded in July '08, with the Summer Olympics being held there, to be able to do much? Should we save it for a later trip? Or try June instead?

Sorry for my long, rambling post, and thanks in advance for any help.

My wife and I are thinking about taking a short trip to China next summer (2 weeks). We're thinking Beijing, Xian, Guilin/Yangshuo, and Shanghai (probably in that order) in that time. (First question) Is that enough time to get a good taste of all 4 places? We're thinking of spending a little more time in Yangshuo than in the bigger cities, since it's more our type of thing (outdoors, scenery, etc.).

That seems like quite a few places to cover in so short a time... but its do-able... I fully recommend a hike along the great wall if youre into the outdoors thing...

One problem, however, is that my wife is not quite as adventurous as I am (to put it mildly), so she's very worried about the culture shock factor. She also speaks no Mandarin whatsoever, so she's worried about feeling a little lost, although I'd be there to translate for her (hopefully my Mandarin will be good enough by July '08 to not need a tour guide/translator). Add to that the fact that her mom and her friends all say they can't understand why we'd want to go to China instead of, say, Germany or something for our first non-US trip together, and you can see she's a bit tough to convince right now. On the good side, she says she'd love to go to China, she's just a little worried.

TBH I think the worry about the culture shock factor is perhaps worse that the actual shock will be... The people are generally quite friendly and patient... at least I found them to be so... I also would suggest that it really doesnt matter what others think... if you guys are happy going to China then go for it... I believe that once there she will find her worries to be unfounded... its an amazing place...

To the point, (my second question), can anybody help me with a way to show her that we'd be perfectly fine in China? Maybe a website or something? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, but I figured it was worth asking. I'm sure if anyone knows a decent hotel in any of these places (keeping in mind we're broke newlyweds) that I can show her pictures of, she'd feel better that at least she'd have a nice clean hotel room. Or maybe a website that has train routes between each city (in English if possible, my character knowledge is next to none right now) so she can be reassured that we'll be able to get around and not get lost. I know they're irrational worries, but she doesn't have a whole lot of experience traveling, especially outside the US.

I have a blog that I kept while I was there (and still kind of keep now) it has a basic review of china and I would be happy to answer any of her questions if she wishes to email me (via the email me link on this site)... you can find my blog in a link in my signature... I stayed at a hotel in Xian that was a good price and in a very good location just down from the drum and bell towers... I am a poor student so budget was firmly in mind... if I can find the hotel site link I have then I will pass it on... train routes can be found I believe but I dont know if I have those links... its not too hard to book tickets when in China though...

Third question, I'm having a hard time finding if Mandarin is the main language in Guilin and Yangshuo. I'm pretty sure it is, or that at least I'd be able to get by in those places with Mandarin, but I figured someone here would know better. Also, will Beijing be too crowded in July '08, with the Summer Olympics being held there, to be able to do much? Should we save it for a later trip? Or try June instead?

I am not sure about Yangshuo or Guilin, but I will be in Beijing in July and expect it to be busy... but I cant help you in deciding when to go... I hope some of this is of use...

For the train schedule, I found this website quite helpful and up-to-date:

http://train.tielu.org/

Although the whole website is in Chinese, you may use pinyin of the station while searching the database of it. I'm not sure if there is an English website that has the up-to-date schedule.

Yes, most people in Yangshuo and Guilin can understand and speak Mandarin, although they speak with some accent. You can definitely get by in those places with Mandarin and even English. However, the tourism market in Guilin/Yangshuo is not as standard as that in Beijing, so be prepare to bargain. You may get quite different prices from different people.