Chinese-Forums

Continuing Education Loans - Chinese institutions apply?

myann23

Hello all,

Currently, I'm planning to teach English to subsidize my expenses in China while learning mandarin and also interning part-time for the company that I ultimately would get a full-time offer at after I become proficient in Mandarin (cross-fingers...).

Teaching English would be a worthwhile experience, but I am slightly concerned that doing this would become a big diversion from my Mandarin studies, so I have recently thought about the idea of getting a continuing education loan to cover my expenses for a year while learning mandarin and interning part-time.

Is this possible? I know that federal loan programs require you to enroll in accredited institutions but some continuing education loans don't require you to get any type of degree or certificate, as long as what you are studying for is related to your future work. Is it is stretch that some of these loan programs could be applied to studying Chinese in China with the expectation of getting a job related to the degree after you finish your studies? If I wanted to apply to Chinese graduate school, I may be eligible for more types of loans, but I'm not sure if I want to attend extraneous classes.

Mike