Chinese-Forums

China Checklist

s6mcmanus

Well, I was just informed that we are not having our normal study abroad program in Beijing next fall. I am now planning on going to Beijingon my own. I would like to go there and teach English part-time so that I will meet some people and make enough money to pay for some of my expenses. I have just started checking out Visas and all of these things. Its a little overwhelming... I was wondering if everyone could provide some input on what to get done before going to China and teaching, and any good resources I could use. I would stay from May to late December (5-6months). My main questions are (1) What kind of passport to get ( and can you switch them once in China???) (2) Is it best to get a teaching job before I leave, or find one there (3) What are the best areas of Beijing (4) What are competitive teaching salaries for a college student who does not have much formal teaching experience, yet is very nice and knowledgable in foreign languages and English. (5) What is the most affordable way to live, without jeopardising learning.

I have taken 1.5 years of Mandarin, and would consider myself a beginner. Any help would be so greatly appreciated... I can hear the clock ticking at this point!

Thanks all!