Chinese-Forums

ZDT: No sound from neutral tone?

thph2006

I've been using ZDT's sound feature regularly now as I review flashcards. It seems to work fine with tones 1-4 but doesn't play a sound for any characters with the neutral tone. Is it a problem with my setup or just a program limitation?

Update:

Some neutral tones have sounds, some don't, apparently not all were recorded. There is also another sound issue. It looks like the program will not play the sound for any character who's pinyin contains a capitalized letter.

Thanks, tom

Hi Tom,

Can you give me an example of a sound that doesn't work? Try ma5 and see if that plays. The current ZDT sound plugin is currently using the free sounds that David Lancashire recorded. Unfortunately, its not a "complete" set so there are missing sounds. I recently asked David about them and it doesn't seem like they will be re-recorded anytime soon. (at least by the same woman)

I also had a friend record some sounds for me, and I'm in the process of splitting them into the individual files. It's a lot of manual work though, so it might be awhile as well.

So what I guess I'm saying is, be patient... or you could always record your own. :D

Chris

I tried playing the sound for "ma5" as you suggested and it does work, as do the sounds for ne5 and ba5. So I guess it's just a problem of missing sound files and not a problem with my machine.

Thanks for the help!

By the way, I've tried several different flashcard programs, both online and standalone and in my opinion yours is by far the best and most flexible. Great stuff!