Chinese-Forums

If you could build the perfect Chinese website......

projectgcm

Well I just been having some random thoughts. The Chinese tools that are available are good but could use a lot of improvement. Just curious what would be the ultimate Chinese learning experience website.

Well currently I use pretty much all the dictionaries out there to achieve what I need. Its quite annoying having to navigate to mdbg.net, dict.cn, yellowbridge for what I need.

I would like to see a website that could have the ultimate dictionary. You ask what I mean by ultimate dictionary? Well I don't want just those common definitions, I want specialized terms in the medical field, law, technology, famous people ex. Bill Gates, slang, idioms etc.

I also love websites that incorporate annotation technology. It makes learning Chinese much easier.

Just curious what ideal features would create the ultimate Chinese learning experience.

What I would like to see is something that allows you to copy and paste texts you want to read from around the internet, do a decent annotation along the lines of adsotrans, integrated text to speech so you can hear it read, a dictionary that offers usage examples rather than just a translation and the ability to create and store wordlists that can then be used on an online flashcard program and shared with other users.

Let us know when you're done :twisted:

decent annotation along the lines of adsotrans

providing the frequency of words so you can ignore ones way above your level & perhaps colour coding chars in whole pages by frequency so you can see if what you're trying to read is probably just too hard...

a dictionary that offers usage examples rather than just a translation

and/or pulls examples from a chinese-english corpus

flashcard program

with supermemo style interval programming, & a choice of presentation (eg flashcards or arcade games where you destroy the character you recognise), ability to produce MP3 word lists (with english translations &/ examples drawn from the C-E corpus)

& all available offline too ;-)