Chinese-Forums

PINYIN TRANSLATION TO ENGLISH SOFTWARE

donnal

I have set up my study program ..each day building my knowledge..however. I am receiving email in pinyin from friends in Chengdu and Shenzhen .. I need to install some software that would enable me to translate and also to reply converting English into pinyin

Can anyone advise some sources so I may pursue .I have found some dictionaries but they appear to be too limited in their database..right now I lookup each word in the database dictionary which I know is very time consuming

I reside in Naples, Florida and hope to travel over to Chengdu this coming summer

don

There is no such software, I'm afraid.

Your friends writing to you in pinyin is probably to make it easier for you to (manually) translate their emails but if you want to translate them by software, you should first tell your friends to write them in normal Chinese (characters).

Thanks..since I did the post I found I could download Microsoft pinyan software .. yes you need to type direct into it ,,but so far having difficult time to open these files once they are downloaded ..anyone know a better approach or at least to open these files

thanks again..oh and by the way I look up the pinyin ,but need to know what is the best ]database dictionary ..I am patient and have so much fun understanding the words and their meanings.

need good pinyin database dictionary

I agree. .it will be much easier to get it in chinese characters since then you can get translations to pinyin for entire sentences.. study more than one pinyin word at a time. :)

But here are two Pinyin dictionaries.. do these work for you?

http://zhongwen.com/s/ziyin.htm

http://afpc.asso.fr/wengu/wg/zhendic.php?zw=&q=hao2&as=py

(the second one will load an example, hao2)

From my experience there is no accurate pinyin to English software.

A good article to test out software is the following famous article about a stone lion...

I have included the characters pinyin and translation just for fun.

IMHO it is not possible to translate the pinyin into English. It seems one needs the characters as mentioned in a previous response.

施氏食獅史 shi1 shi4 shi2 shi1 shi3 Story of Shi Eating the Lions

石室詩士施氏, shi2 shi4 shi1 shi4 shi1 shi4, A poet named Shi lived in a stone room,

嗜獅,誓食十獅. shi4 shi1, shi4 shi2 shi2 shi1. fond of lions, he swore that he would eat ten lions.

氏時時適市視獅. shi4 shi2 shi2 shi4 shi4 shi4 shi1. He constantly went to the market to look for ten lions.

十時,適十獅適市. shi2 shi2, shi4 shi2 shi1 shi4 shi4. At ten o'clock, ten lions came to the market

是時,適施氏適是市. shi4 shi2, shi4 shi1 shi4 shi4 shi4 shi4. and Shi went to the market.

氏視是十獅,恃矢勢, shi4 shi4 shi4 shi2 shi1, shi4 shi3 shi4, Looking at the ten lions, he relied on his arrows

使是十獅逝世. shi3 shi4 shi2 shi1 shi4 shi4. to cause the ten lions to pass away.

氏拾是十獅屍, 適石室. shi4 shi2 shi4 shi2 shi1 shi1, shi4 shi2 shi4. Shi picked up the corpses of the ten lions and took them to his stone room.

石室濕, 氏使侍拭石室. shi2 shi4, shi1, shi4 shi3 shi4 shi4 shi2 shi4. The stone room was damp. Shi ordered a servant to wipe the stone room.

石室拭,氏始試食十獅屍. shi2 shi4 shi4, shi4 shi3 shi4 shi2 shi2 shi1 shi1. As the stone den was being wiped, Shi began to try to eat the meat of the ten lions.

食時, 始識十獅屍, shi2 shi2, shi3 shi4 shi4 shi2 shi1 shi1, At the time of the meal, he began to realize that the ten lion corpses

實十石獅屍. shi2 shi2 shi2 shi1 shi1. were in fact were ten stone lions.

試釋是事. shi4 shi4 shi4 shi4 Try to explain this matter.