Chinese-Forums

Help finding flash card software!!

abd08

Hi all,

I am trying hard to find some software to do the following, but not having much luck. Have looked through the archives, but maybe am missing something:

1. Create my own flashcards on PC (Excel/Notepad) and import them to PPC

eg:

ce(4)suo(3) - Toilet

zui(4)jin(4) - recently

2. Be able to group them into lessons, and test myself on either multiple lessons or a single lesson at a time

3. Even if I get something right, the card to be repeated later, albeit with a lower frequency

4. Be able to remove a card from the testing rota completely if I want to with a checkbox or sthg

5. Have it test me on just the words I input, and not the individual characters/other compounds

- Bonus points for if I can click on an on-screen character to see the trad/simp version w/meaning

Thanks in advance :)

Rajiv

I really like Super Memo. It's probably the most flexible option out there, since it's not specifically for Chinese. You structure the databases however you want.

The whole basis of the SuperMemo method is that has an algorithm that controls how frequently cards are shown based on how you've graded yourself in previous tests. Very efficient! You don't have to decide yourself what you should study. SuperMemo figures it out for you!

Process:

1. Create database in Word

2. Save as a text file, with Chinese encoding

3. Drag this file over SuperMemo's supplied "encoder"

4. Add to your Palm Pilot install app

5. Sync your Palm

The big negative I know of so far about SuperMemo is that as of now, I don't think you can really export databases from your Palm to your desktop in any sort of usable (i.e, .txt, .doc) format.

I put a program called Flash on my Palm today and it seems similar to what you're looking for. It comes with PCR books I-III installed, but you can make your own flashcards in the PC version and import them to your Palm. I haven't used it a whole lot since I just got it today, but so far I like it a lot.

http://www.andante.org/chinese_pilot.html

I reviewed it a bit in my new blog, linked in my sig (or should be).