Chinese-Forums

passport changes

L-F-J

i'm going to china soon. but i recently got married and the last name on my passport doesnt match the id with my current last name. does it matter? the passport is valid for 10 years. but do i need to update it with my new last name or does it pass? if not, i'm in trouble cuz the plane ticket is booked in may and it takes time to get a new passport.... :help

You've got two clear months, does it really take that long to get a new passport? I think for the UK you can generally get away with it if you have proof of recent marriage (or other reason for name change), but the US is quite possibly different and when in China you're going to end up standing around while people decide what to do. I'd just get it changed (or divorce, if that's easier :twisted: )

thanks guys...

yes, i'm american. i ran out yesterday after posting this to get new passport photos and printed out the re-application form for passport changes. since its a name change due to marriage its free. expediting it costs 60 bucks.

i was worried because it took a while to get the original passport. but i've checked. it takes 6 weeks to get this new one. i'm wondering if i should take a chance on the 6 weeks being correct and still giving me enough time to get the visa. or if i should expedite it for 60 bucks to be sure.......

i'd sure hate to miss that flight. it'll be my first trip to china.

oh man, would i hate that.... :evil:

Well, how much is it going to cost you, all up, to visit China? Several thousand dollars in all probability. So is $60 really that much to pay? Nope. Well, not in my opinion anyway. But how long will it take if it's expediated?

it'll take a couple weeks if i expidite it for 60 bucks, but i figure if i can get it in enough time without, then that 60 bucks pays for two days worth of lodging, eating, and studying in the place i am going. so i wonder if its really worth it. but i just dont want to get it late. which i dont think i should. i do have two clear months. i'm about to mail it today though... so i have to decide. add the money or not.. :mrgreen:

When I expedited my passport, I got mine in maybe under a week or so. Spring and Summer are approaching, meaning more and more people will be traveling abroad. More and more passport applications. Two months is a good amount of time, but I don't know if I'd risk it.

oh right, it says within 3 working days. my bad...

but aiyoooo! you make a good point. however, i filled out the form and got the required documents together. my wife took it today when she left so its already being mailed.

anyone reading this message, whatever religion you follow, if it includes prayer of any kind i'd gladly appreciate a word or two for my passport to be back in time!! thank you! :)

the plane leaves may 10th. it said 6 weeks i think. so even if it is 8 weeks it still gives me enough time to get my visa. but i'm still scared... :mrgreen:

• 2 months later...

update:

thanks for all your prayers! lol

luckily i just got my passport back on tuesday. it took a bit longer than six weeks. haha more like 10.

but as soon as i got it i put it right back in the mail to get my visa. i used the csca visa agency. www.visamailservice.com

the tracking said it arrived early today and i ordered it to be rushed back to me. so hopefully i get it tomorrow. i'm not leaving until next thursday anyway.

thanks again to everyone! :mrgreen: it seems i can make the trip and not waste my money!

thanks a lot!

but i'll probably enjoy only half of it. because i'm first going to be in guangdong and have a chinese style wedding.

the second half i'm going to go train in shaolin which is gonna hurt! :mrgreen: and i'll have to poop in a hole with other chinese kids around me doing the same. lol