Chinese-Forums

How/When to Learn Characters

OneEye

Jeez, It's depressing reading these posts. I don't know exactly how many characters I know but I have a flashcard word list I can get through that's around 650 words. I'm guessing that's got to be less than 300 characters, and it took me over a year to get this far. 300 characters in a few weeks - I envy you!

Like I said, DEPRESSING! :oops:

This is why I love this site. The help doesn't end. :D

I think learning to read will be my main focus as far as the written language. I do intend to learn to write some characters, so I can get a feel for stroke order and such (for using PlecoDict when I get it). I found a few cool programs for Palm that have helped me learn a bunch of characters pretty easily in a short time. One is called Flash, and it's a flashcard program (of course) pre-loaded with vocab from PCR I-III, with the ability to make more using the PC version of the program. The other is called Dragon, and it's pretty much a game that drills character recognition, pinyin, and writing. It has a ton of wordlists (PCR I-III, HSK 1 and 2, and a few more) and a few different modes. I linked to both programs in my blog (in sig), but I'm sure most people here have seen or used them before.

I'm thinking about just working my way through PCR book I (using the book and the Palm programs) for reading, and still using the 250 characters book to learn some writing and get stroke order down. Does this sound like a good approach?

I'm guessing that's got to be less than 300 characters, and it took me over a year to get this far. 300 characters in a few weeks - I envy you!

I think with more time I can easily learn a few 100 a month. For me, I need the right input. Learning material doesn't do it for me. Too boring, too predicable. Those little kids stories are more entertaining, and in a language that is easy to understand. Still, takes me some time to get through each story (just did a 2 page one over lunch, not completely finished). But that ain't work, it's fun! If what you do ain't fun, then don't do it!

But I also advise not to aim too soon for books well above your level. The frustration can work against your motivation. I still have TinTin (丁丁) comic, maybe that is next. I also do usually a few things at the same time. I also sometimes chat on QQ using Chinese.

....using PlecoDict...

PlecoDict is a wonderful tool! But you need to know how to use to get something out of it. And you need to know what work on YOU. The flashcard function is state of the art, I specially love the variable repetition spacing. However, flashcards, means characters out of context doesn't really do it for me. I prefer books.

See, those kids books they use a simpler language. You just keep reading, characters you don't know will pop up again, and again and again. Sooner or later you know them.

PlecoDict I use currently only to look up unknown characters I find in books. The handwriting recognition is great, even I never learned handwriting (but you need to spent 10 Minutes learning about stroke orders).

Just my 2 cents.