Chinese-Forums

Chinese flashcards for mobile phones

ironfrost

I thought some people her might be interested in a Chinese flashcard program for mobile phones which I wrote recently, mostly over the Spring Festival holiday. I mainly wrote it to improve my own language skills (I'm too lazy to bother with physical flashcards, and I'm too cheap to buy a specialized device or an expensive PDA), but I think it can also help other people who are trying to learn the language, so I'm making it available online for free to anyone who wants to download it. I put it up on my website, and also uploaded it to hostj2me.com for people that need to download it directly to their mobile phones. The size of the program is less than 8 kB.

It's currently loaded with 111 beginner-level Chinese words. Features include:

* Users can choose to go from English to Chinese, from Chinese to English, or to select randomly for each word.

* Words can be shown in their initial order or in a random order

* The program can automatically remove cards that have been correctly answered a set number of times, either in total or consecutively

Your phone needs to support Simplified Chinese characters, which most phones bought outside China do not - check your phone's language settings; if Chinese is not an option this program probably won't run properly. It also needs to be able to run Java programs, and must support MIDP 2.0 and CDLC 1.1 (if you bought your phone in the last couple of years, it almost certainly supports these).

The program works fine on my own phone (a Nokia 2610), but I haven't been able to see how it works on other models. It would be great if you could let me know how it works on your own phone, especially if you have any problems. I'm planning to continue to improve the program, so it would also be good to know what you think about it and what features would be useful to people.

---Note: I originally posted this thread in the "Chinese Computing and Technology" subforum, but it didn't seem to appear for some reason. I'm re-posting it here because this seems to be a more appropriate place to post it. I'm not a spammer, honest!

Any plans to open source it? Would be a lot more useful if it could be altered and extended. Thanks though.

I'm planning to give out the source under GPL version 3 once they release the final version of the license, which should be fairly soon. I think the anti-DRM clause in version 3 is important enough to delay open-sourcing the program until the license is ready.

I just uploaded a new version of this program - people might be interested to know that it's now got multiple word lists at different levels (so you're not limited to testing yourself on words like "你好" anymore) and also the capability to add your own custom word lists in the CEDICT/ZDT format.

You can find the program here, or here if you want a version you can download directly to your phone.