Chinese-Forums

What does this mean?

Rocksta_Vixen

Picture052.jpg

Ive been trying to figure out my friends tattoo... He knows it bugs me that I dont understand it thats why he told me I have to figure it out for myself...

Anybody know? Someone told me they were pretty sure its chinese

Im so lost :lol:

Ok maybe I am dumb lol... Kanji (japanese) came from chinese right? Im not very educated on this but I think thats how it went......?

Anyways if anyone can help with this last thing it would be awsome

Its supposed to mean "You belong to the vampire" but Im not sure it was put together right

Anybody familiar with Kanji?

Thisone.jpg

That is Kanji or you may say Janpenese. You read it from top to bottom and from right to left. Kanji is originally from Chinese character, but after long years It derived into another language system. The pronounciation, grammar and lots of other things are different from Chinese.

The Kanji you show on post is just as you said.

Not sure if you'll view this thread again, but what do you mean by "You belong to the vampire"?

a) You are a possession of the the vampire

OR

B) You belong to the clan/camp? of the vampire (i.e. you are a vampire or on their side)

Your Japanese means the latter.

I gave the reason in my previous post.

A concept someone thinks is cool and trendy in one language, often doesn't carry the same meanings/connotations in another language.
I don't know much about the Japanese culture and language, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the concepts of vampires and "belonging to vampires" would be completely different from that of modern western culture. Recently there has been quite a lot of English fiction (both films and novels) that have popularised the concept of vampires (e.g. Anne Rice novels, Buffy/Angel etc), and this has shaped people's perceptions of what a vampire is. This concept is not going to be the same in another language, which doesn't have the same cultural references and background.

So, a concept as specific as this that you think sounds good in English, often sounds ordinary (and even stupid) when translated into another language, simply because cultural differences mean that the same word means completely different things to people from different cultures. Language is not just about words, a large part is is also dependent on the culture.

I guess my point is, getting this tattoed in Japanese might impress all your non-Japanese speaking friends, however it would be unlikely to impress any Japanese speaker, and would quite likely be met with derision.

• 1 month later...