Chinese-Forums

Web hosting for blogging/podcasting while in China

griz326

My 18 month plan is being implemented.

Part of the plan calls for setting up a website for blogging and podcasting while living in China.

Can I set up my site on a US server without violating Chinese laws?

I do not want to put in the work and find out the Chinese government blocks my posts and content. My content is diverse. There is tough political commentary on the US, but no political content related to China.

I also intend to put my English lessons and podcasts of them on the site.

Thoughts?

I don't know the details of the law, but from a practical point of view you should be fine. Lots of people (both foreign and Chinese) have blogs hosted on US servers with no problems at all, so as long as you don't write anything sensitive (or even if you do, to be honest, as long as you don't draw much attention to yourself - Chinese internet filtering is a lot less strict than a lot of people in the West think) you should have no problems.

Hosting on a US server will be fine - but if you have a mainly China-based audience a China or Hong Kong hosting option might work out quicker for them, particularly if they are downloading podcasts. You might want to look at one of the specialized podcasting solutions if you are expecting many users.