Chinese-Forums

Question on Translation for "Propaganda"

YuehanHao

I made up my mind to write a sentence in Chinese along the following lines:

[XX]政府爱指责[XX]的报纸传播[propaganda].

I hope that's not too hard to read, what with the Xs representing non-essential descriptors and the question simply being how I should translate "propaganda."

I first tried to use 宣传, but was told by a semi-reliable source that this word does not fit my sentence since it does not have a negative connotation as does the English, and that I should settle for something along the lines of "dirty lies," which isn't exactly what I wanted to say, but I guess it's pretty close. Just curious if people agree with this and/or have any ideas on how I should end my sentence (sorry I can't change the overall structure too much since my book says it must use 传播, and well honestly also because of perverse stubbornness in character).

Thanks for any help on this.

约翰好!

It seems quite difficult to help you with your request.

You want a translation for "propaganda" and at the same time you want to preserve "传播" for it; but since "传播" doesn't exactly means "propaganda", how would you like to be helped??

[XX]政府爱指责[XX]的报纸传播[propaganda].
I first tried to use 宣传, but was told by a semi-reliable source that this word does not fit my sentence since it does not have a negative connotation as does the English

I see. You can try “散播”, which does have a negative connotation. For example, we say “散播不实消息 / 谣言”.

Thanks!

宣传 is a neutral word, but 政治宣传 is pretty close to "propaganda." Mainlanders will know what you mean.

See this search for 政治宣传 on Baidu.

If 传播 is being used as a verb here ("to transmit"), I'm not sure if it would fit with 宣传. Both 传播宣传 and 传播政治宣传 sound awkward.

传播 is usually used with a noun like 信息 (information), whereas 宣传 is normally used as a verb. You have to nominalize it first, by doing something like 进行政治宣传 (to carry out political propaganda). Don't know where 传播 would fit in that case.

But can you tell us what you are trying to say in English? I don't quite understand what you mean by "政府爱指责[XX]的报纸".

Sorry for being unclear in multiple languages, but I think you all helped me out nonetheless. My bad Chinese sentence was intended to mean something like "Such-and-such government likes to accuse such-and-such newspaper of spreading propaganda."

I had begun to suspect as much, and from these responses, I gather now that the English phrase of "spreading propaganda" would simply not be translated with 传播 plus any noun as a direct object (which addresses part of my original question of what direct object might I use with 传播 to connote spreading propaganda), but that one ought to translate this as a complete verb/object phrase such as one of the phrases supplied in the response posts. So unless I made other major mistakes, then I think that my question is fully answered, although as a result, I unfortunately cannot keep the Chinese verb I originally hoped to use in my sentence and also have the sentence be proper.

对不起,I am most grateful for everyone's help and did not mean to provoke annoyance with a vaguely/poorly posed question. 谢谢,

约翰好!