Chinese-Forums

Teaching contract: illness in family clause?

griz326

I dreamed last night that my Mother became very ill while I was teaching some place in China.

How do teaching contracts handle an illness in the family? Is it a standard clause or does the death/illness clause vary wildly?

Because of my mother's advanced years I should know this going in....

General employment contract will not cover this clause.

You will need to clarify your situation to your potential employer of the future to cover any unforeseeable event before signing the contract documents.

The contract documents are made to protect both employee and employer, should you worry about not being able to return home to look after your mother during the term of contract, you should seek professional advice from your lawyer.

Understandably, most employers would let their employees leave their work should something happens. Alternatively, you may consider to get an insurance to cover any contingencies.

K.

General employment contract will not cover this clause.
Yes it will. From the standard SAFEA contract, which you will have to sign if you are teaching on a Z visa:

(Party A is the school, Party B is the teacher)

• Both Parties should abide by the contract and should refrain from revising, canceling, or terminating the contract without mutual consent.

• The contract can be revised, canceled, or terminated with mutual consent. Before both parties have reached and agreement, the contract should be strictly observed.

and also

If Party B asks to cancel the contract due to events beyond control, it should produce certifications by the department concerned, obtain Party A's consent, and pay its own return expenses; if Party B cancels the contract without valid reason, it should pay its own return expenses and pay a breach penalty to Party A.

A parent becoming seriously ill is an event beyond your control, and returning home to look after a seriously ill parent is something that most Chinese (who have a strong sense of filial piety), will understand and see as a valid reason. However you may have to pay for your own return expenses in this case.

As Koneko suggested, it may help to discuss this upfront with any school you wish to work for, however this may also make it more difficult for you to find work.