Chinese-Forums

Any experience with lookintochina / Dragon & Phoenix?

Stefani

• 2 months later...

No experience. It looks like a private business, which more or less generally charges substantially more than university options. Perhaps if you told us a bit more of what you're looking for some of us could give more relevant advice/information.

No experience. It looks like a private business, which more or less generally charges substantially more than university options. Perhaps if you told us a bit more of what you're looking for some of us could give more relevant advice/information.

At the moment I am hoping that I will be able to spend 2 - 4 weeks in China in 2009. I am still very much a beginner now. My son who is almost 4 years old go to a Chinese daycare, and I would like to have him experience full-immersion in a Chinese kindergarten. Because of my son, I think I will need a one-on-one tutoring that is flexible to meet our needs (the tutor will be for me).

What is the going rate for a 1-on-1 tutoring? Something like TLI (Taiwan Language Institute) seems to be about US$13.50? I don't think I can attend a unversity class setting as my time is limited (I am working here in the US, so I cannot take a very long vacation) and having my son with me.

I think some people recommended Lotus Study. Anything else?

TIA.

Stefani.

2009! Well, that's quite far into the future!

So, let me get this straight: You'll be coming for 2-4 weeks and enrolling your son into a Chinese kindergarten for immersion but you, yourself, will need a private tutor for your own Chinese learning?

You can get a private tutor in Shanghai, China for 25-50 RMB/hour (3-7 USD), less in other smaller cities. Good tutors are usually those who work as Chinese teachers in the university programs but offer to tutor on the side to make extra cash.

I can understand the urge to plan ahead, but this is maybe a bit too far - by 2009 the existing companies will have gone bust, those tutoring now will have got married and moved to San Francisco and all the accommodation you are looking at will have been knocked down and made into Soylent Green factories.

2009! Well, that's quite far into the future!

I guess I like to plan ahead :-) At first I was thinking of going in 2008, but given our situation 2009 is more realistic. This is quite an undertaking financially and schedule-wise, and our requirement is rather unique.

So, let me get this straight: You'll be coming for 2-4 weeks and enrolling your son into a Chinese kindergarten for immersion but you, yourself, will need a private tutor for your own Chinese learning?

Yes, you got it. I am studying Mandarin myself now but I cannot do it very intensively as I work full-time and have to take care a house and an almost 4 year old (although I do share care-giving with my husband).

I can understand the urge to plan ahead, but this is maybe a bit too far - by 2009 the existing companies will have gone bust, those tutoring now will have got married and moved to San Francisco and all the accommodation you are looking at will have been knocked down and made into Soylent Green factories.

He...he... I don't plan to register anywhere yet, I am just trying to see what my options are and how much money do I need to save.

I hope good companies will still be around then.:) right, mrtoga?

OK, I guess I need to wait another year before looking into this.

Xie xie!

Stefani.