Chinese-Forums

not sure what my options are for study abroad scholarships...

ldeeep

i'm interested in some kind of government scholarship....possibly the one for people interested in learning mandarin here http://www.csc.edu.cn/en/readarticle/readarticle.asp?articleid=572

i'll be finishing up my AA in a couple months, so i won't be associated with a university here. ideally, i'd like to get a full scholarship to learn mandarin in beijing (or somewhere), and get my BA there in something (asian studies? international studies?) and then maybe come back to the US for my MA.

i've already taken 18 credits of japanese, so i have an idea of the difficulty of the language and of course know many kanji and their meanings.

i've checked out many websites and tried to contact my MOE, and i just keep getting more confused.

this seems too good to be true...am i right? :help

I've not applied for one of these scholarships, so I can't give you any advice from my own personal experience, but from what I've heard, you need to download the application form, fill it in, and then send it to your nearest embassy/consulate.

You mentioned that you tried contacting the consulate-general in Chicago and got no reply, but how did exactly did you contact them? I would try giving them a call, this way you get to speak to someone who even if they don't know the answer to your questions, should be able to transfer to the correct department. Under the education section of chicago's chinese consulate-general website they list the contact phone numbers and office hours for the people responsible for offering "information to Americans wishing to study and teach in China, entrusted by Chinese government, selecting and recommending candidates for Chinese government scholarships".

If you haven't already, I would try calling these people to see what they have to say.

Don't know if this will help, but if you are not getting any help from the Consulate General in Chicago, you might try the guy in charge of administering the HSK in Ann Arbor. He might know something about the scholarships you are asking about. Also that office, specifically the assistant admin, sent me an email advertising some other scholarships so they might be in the business of helping out with that kind of thing.

Here is the website for the Ann Arbor HSK administration. http://www.lsa.umich.edu/asian/chinese/hsk.html

his personal site with his contact info

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~chenq/mebrief.html

I believe that for the CSC language scholarship in the U.S., one has to apply through the U.S. Department of Education, which in turn submits the selected applications to some government ministry in China for final decision. I'm not sure about the other types of scholarships (undergraduate, masters etc)