Chinese-Forums

Traveling in China (Hangzhou, Shanghai)

jfranco

Hello,

I know this is not quite the right area of the forum, but I am looking for general travel suggestions. I will be going to China in May and will be visiting Hangzhou, Shanghai, and most likely also Nanjing. Are there any particular spots that you would recommend? Also are there any particular recommendations for first time travelers to China?

I'd appreciate any travel suggestions.

Thanks,

Jill

I headed up to Xitang last weekend. It's a small town outside of Shanghai that has a beautiful little old town district that had a cameo in Mission Impossible III. The trick is to spend the night, as all the bustling Chinese tour groups head out and the place is significantly calmer and rather romantic, as it lights up with red lanterns. See dusk and dawn if you can make yourself, and just enjoy several strolls around the place and check out some of the small ticketed sites. Definitely don't go on a tour--not really worth it. Overall, it's just sort of a chill stop for a day and night or even half a week, I suppose. Local specialities include zongzi (rice based-mixtures wrapped and cooked in leaves), a fragrant sweet cake I'm still not certain the base of which is, and apparently green nuts/beans that I didn't try. Plenty of seafood, too, if you like that.

Get to Jiashan (train/bus) and take a bus to Xitang from the bus station, it's about a 5 min walk from where they dump you. Don't worry about accomodation, because just about every other house in the old town doubles as an inn (try to find one close to the main river, and remember there are two sides!), usually on the cheaper side--rooms overlooking the river more expensive, but still cheap by most standards, I think. Don't know how many of the owners speak English though (didn't try). Manageable from Shanghai or Hangzhou.

Xitang sounds very interesting. I actually have been studying Mandarin at the University for two years, so I can say a few things. I'll have to see whether or not it is enough to get around.

I will try to look up information on it. Thanks for the suggestion.