Chinese-Forums

Forums Newsletter Ideas

roddy

I think I'll leave it for plain text for the first one for simplicity's sake, and then once people have confirmed if they want the thing or not I can worry about how they want it. Assuming anyone does . . .

Glad you found it useful, Long Pan. Frequency I don't know yet - most likely monthly or fortnightly at first, maybe building up to weekly. I think a full newsletter every week would be a bit of a stretch at the moment, but who knows.

I've cut it down to about 9 or 10 items in the newsletter and edited accordingly. I need to do a bit of work on the copy used for the sign up process before I do anything, but hoping to send something out soon.

• 2 months later...

I don't recall how to do it, but I recall that it's fairly easy to produce a hybrid newsletter (Chris Pirillo email publishing, for examples) that people will read as plain text if their readers are set that way, and others will read the html version.

The reader will ignore the "other" version.

The main reason to not want HTML is security. There's a lot of ways to insert invisible tracking "bugs", embedded scripts, and spoof links, just to name a few.

However, that's obviated by getting a newsletter from a trusted source. So, you might want to select a specific "send from" account name, and stick with that, and a separate reply to, etc.

You'll have to watch out for getting blacklisted. A couple of the large providers in the US (*AOL*, ...) tend to blacklist (list as spam) a little too easily.

If your newsletter is basically a weekly digest, perhaps call it that? I'd prefer to get it as an RSS feed, but ONLY if it's a complete feed. jm$.02

I'm just going to stick with text for now, I think.

As for spam issues - it's potentially a problem. However, I've got everything set up as well as I can - sending via SMTP, etc - and although this initial mailing has been relatively hefty at just under 10,000 emails I anticipate future ones being much smaller.

60 odd subscriptions so far - reasonably good start.

This is very useful. I found that I had missed this thread:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/10639-chinese-podcasts-w-transcripts

which I'm interested in, as I'm always looking for new podcasts.

Anyway, I fished the subscription email out of my junk email folder, but when I replied to the email to confirm the subscription, I get the message: "An error occurred while sending your message" -- so I can't confirm the subscription.

Since I visit the site regularly, these days, it may be better for me to see the newsletter online, here.

But where is the link to the newsletter? Shouldn't it be under "Links to Love" or in the Forums index, with links to previous issues of the newsletter? Or is it there, somewhere, and I'm just missing it?

It's currently listed as an ad, so if you've opted to hide ads you won't see it. I'll be setting up a thread or forum to archive past newsletters shortly, so it'll be more visible then. Would probably also be a good idea for having some specific mechanism for people to recommend threads to include in the newsletters - I don't read everything.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to reply to that message - if you want to forward the error you get to admin@chinese-forums.com I'll have a look.

• 3 weeks later...

Second edition of the newsletter should be going out soon, depending on how quick off the mark I am. Any suggestions for what should go in it? And if you haven't noticed, you can now suggest posts for inclusion via the report.gif report post button.

If there have been "introduce yourself" posts within the last month, those could be considered.

Items of interest to upcoming fall students, such as frequent questions, areas of the forum, etc. There will always be new people each month.

What's planned for the next two months, etc....

If anyone offers. Drop me a line via email or the contact form if you are interested.

General areas I can find easy enough - I was hoping that someone would save me the trouble of finding actual topics, plus what looks dull and pointless to me may well be the best discussion ever to someone else.

• 7 months later...

How about the forming of different level online study groups?

Or other organizing tools?

Anyone play chinese chess? What about Luzhan qi (Chinese stratego)? I like the idea of the book discussion group but are there other ways to join with others and do online activities that use Chinese?

I am brainstorming.

have fun,

Simon:)

• 1 month later...

After a few months of outsourcing, I'm back to writing the newsletters myself for the time being at least. Now would be a good time for any comments on the content / style / frequency / value of the said electronic bulletin.

• 4 weeks later...