Chinese-Forums

China Telecom/Netcom Region Question

dynaemu

Just wondering, what do chinese people perfer? 电信 or 网通

网通 is alot more faster in my honest opinion.. why is that? I always wondered why there was a 电信 server for stuff and a 网通 server for things..

Can someone explain this to me? Thanks

If Netcom focuses on the North, and Telecom in the South, and signed a thing to not intrude others "turf"... how come you can still find netcom services in the southern parts of china (hubei, sichuan, hunan, fujian, etc)

Just wondering~

Could be any number of reasons. I'm not sure if they're pulling out of each others territory, or just agreed not to expand any further. Plus, given past history

. . . In China, with its huge market and unsettled rules, the deregulation battle is being fought block by block, wire by wire, by workers often willing to sabotage competitors' equipment and even attack their staffs—even though ultimately they all work for the Chinese government.

the profits to be made and the unruly nature of the grass-roots level telecoms market, it's not hard to imagine the agreement being ignored here and there. Or everywhere.

Merging the two topics, by the way.

I heard Guangdong and Shanghai use both Netcom and Telecom... but heres One last question...

Say you used Netcom in Shanghai... and you wanted to go to a netcafe in Shanghai, but it used telecom instead.. is there a way to make it switch over to Netcom, would both speeds be the same? or would you have to bring a laptop with you that has a netcom connection on it?

Thanks.

In short, no, you could not connect to China Netcom in a China-Telecom-connected Internet Cafe.

I think you might be confused about the fact that China Netcom and China Telecom provide both the physical connection AND act as the ISP for their customers. When I was in Japan, I could pay one company for my physical connection, but use another company as my ISP over that physical connection.

At Hainan University, the dorms have wires for both China Netcom and for China Telecom - two separate plates on the wall. I actually tried connecting my DSL modem to the China Telecom jack using my China Netcom account information, but it did not work. It never got any response. There is apparently no agreement for the other company's ISP to be available if you don't also pay them for the physical connection.

Thus, if you went to an Internet cafe that had China Telecom, you would be on China Telecom's network. Assuming that you could physically connect your or use wireless, you would be connecting to the Internet cafe's network. That network would then have a router that connects to China Telecom. However, the Internet cafe's router will likely be able to tell that your computer does not have the Internet Cafe's billing/monitoring software, so it will not give you an IP address. If you cannot go online, it will have nothing to do with you having or not having your own China Telecom or China Netcom account.

If Netcom focuses on the North, and Telecom in the South, and signed a thing to not intrude others "turf"... how come you can still find netcom services in the southern parts of china (hubei, sichuan, hunan, fujian, etc)

Just wondering~

Could be any number of reasons. I'm not sure if they're pulling out of each others territory, or just agreed not to expand any further

They agreed not to sign up any new phone or fixed-line broadband users, but they can still keep existing services and offer other services like IPTV or WiMAX.

Am I able to make 电信 faster somehow?

Just saw this at http://www.thatsbj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10100:

Are you experiencing slow internet speed in bj?... if you're signed on with china telecom, now you can call them and upgrade over the phone...

Orginal Speed= 512kbps for CNY99/month

New Upgrade Option= 1mbps for CNY129/month

New Upgrade Option= 2mbps for CNY199/month