Chinese-Forums

English expressions for 少一根筋

semantic nuance

Are there any expressions in English equivalent to 少一根筋?
semantic nuance, I think you may get a better response if you'd explain what 少一根筋 means first. Many good speakers of English just don't have the same command in Chinese.

他这个人脑子少一条 / 根筋。(他这个人脑子不太灵活。) -> He is slowwitted.

我这个人啊,对数学少一条 / 根筋。(我这个人啊,数学不行!)-> While talking about math, I am all thumbs!

Hope it helps.

Thanks!

Maybe "not his/her forte" if you want to be polite and subtle.

If you want to be cruel, maybe one of these:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0410b&L=ads-l&P=22430

There are numerous variations of "He's one (or a few) X short of Y", e.g. "he's one card short of a full deck".

A compendium of insults and "not all there" comments from various sources, beginning with rec.humor, April 1987.

A couple of slates short of a full roof.

A few beers short of a six-pack / a six-pack short of a case.

A couplet short of a sonnet....

Thank you guys for your quick and helpful responses.

This phrase came to mind when I tried to describe a person's characteristics.

The situation is that :You tell someone you don't want to talk about some topic and s/he promises you with sincerity. But next time s/he forgets about it and keeps reminding you of things you don't want to hear again. You're sure that s/he does not do it on purpose to hurt or bug you. However, you find s/he has the trait of forgetting things you want him/her to do for you but only remember what s/he tries to drive at. I've consulted this at other english forums and got an answer like 'passive-aggressive', which I think is too much for what I want. I've considered words like absent-minded, forgetful, insouciant, etc. However, each word does not quite fit the situation I described above. Any other more words I can use to describe this?

少一根筋:我想要表達某人好像不太體貼你的想法, 但是他/她好像也不是故意這樣子的. 他/她似乎祇是忘記你曾經交代過他/她的事情, 常常在不對的時間說不對的話或做不對的事. 而且在不對的時間會佔用你很多的時間去叨唸(nag)煩他的事情.

Right at this moment, another Chinese phrase comes to mind: 哪壺不開提哪壺. If you or other guys have interesting phrases to enlighten me, I'd be glad to learn all of them. Thanks very much!!!:)