Chinese-Forums

Foreigner created slang/expressions

dalaowai

I've been living out here for a while and as my Mandarin improved, my friends and I started creating Mandarin slang, which introduced to our Chinese friends were incorporated into their daily talk.

I'd like to find out if anybody else created expressions/slang and how they were received by locals. Please explain the story behind your creation.

Here are a few of my favourite ones:

水果梦 or 水果dream : One day we were walking down the street (two foreigners) and a strawberry seller (baskets in hand) saw us coming. His eyes lit up and the man bellowed "HELLLOOOO! FE-LAN-DE! 草莓!!!草莓!很便宜!全都给你200人民币!" At that point, we laughed and said that fellow had a "水果 dream" when he saw two foreigners and thought that he was gonna go home rich. We now use this expression whenever someone thinks that they'll get rich off of us, or if we have our own illusions of grandeur, we'll accuse each other of having a 水果梦。

出租车妓:I take taxis every morning without a problem, there are always many available unless it rains and it's quite irritating that the usual cyclers or bus-takers steal my taxi. People who jump out of the bushes when your taxi arrives and yoinks it away from you also qualify as being 出租车妓.

百分之(adj)

eg: 百分之很好,百分之不怎么样. Created by me trying to put a quantitative value on something one day and then giving up halfway through the sentence and going for a fuzzy adjective.

I also misspoke in the kitchen once, trying to say 微波炉 and somehow ended up saying something along the lines of 为萝卜. For a brief period of time, among a select group of people, it was normal to say "为萝卜!" instead of 微波炉 and I still get them confused.

I attach 'ed' to the end of some Chinese verbs which I regularly use.

eg

That hutong's marked to get "拆ed"

Crap! I think I just got "骗ed".

He "骂ed" her right in front of everyone.

There's my 2c contribution to the evolution of pigeon Chinese.

y

I say 订萨 for ordering pizza. One time, before going to the bathroom, I said that I was going to, "参加厕所活动",which has been simplified down to "参个活儿" .

Also, when telling a story with a male and a female, I've added the "sh" (of the English "she") to 她 to make "shta", and added an extra gutteral "h" sound to 他, to make "hhhta".

水果梦

That's a pretty good one. :D