Chinese-Forums

the third tone

rezaf

i have been told that the third tone changes in the sentence but i don't understand it. please someone help me by correcting this example:

qing3 ni3 xie3 zhe4ge ci2.

ok in this sentence when i speak i change the tones to qing2 ni2 xie3(half tone) zhe4ge ci2. is it right?

qing3 ni3 xie3 zhe4ge ci2. I don't know what the other guy was talking about: sandhi? Explanation of sandhi doesn't makes any sense to me,

All I know is, what's been talked about, is related to music, not spoken words!

I've been taught that when 2 words of which both uses 3rd tones, you change the first one into a 2nd tone>qing3 ni3 xie3 zhe4ge ci2: because xie3, to write, which is the main verb, will not change tones in this sentence, you will need to change it to >qing2 ni3 xie3 zhe4 ge1 ci2. Ni3 hao3 becomes> Ni2 hao3. qing2 ni3 xie3 zhe4 ge1 ci2 means: Please write out this phrase (for me). Why are you calling it a sentence, if you wanted someone to write out a phrase?. But if you want to request something, and know the other person might not do it, use nin2 instead of ni3 in the above phrase. Nin2 is the more polite term for Ni3. A phrase is shorter than a sentence. A phrase is a few words, but a sentence requires much more. Exception: Some phrases could also be sentences.