Chinese-Forums

Chinese Halloween

Ian_Lee

Chinese also got their sort of Halloween and it is much more spooky than its American counterpart.

Chinese Halloween lasts more than one day. It starts from the first of July (Lunar calendar) and ends on the 14th of July.

Chinese believe that during this two-weeks period, the gate of the underworld is opened. Many spirits wander around in human world and they are looking for substitutes so that they can go back to the human world again.

My mom used to warn me not to go swim in those beaches which recently someone has drowned during this period. And wherever walking alone in night time, you should say “Excuse Me” whenever you suddenly change direction even though there is nobody on the street.

Moreover, the Red-light district is especially aware of those spirits during this period (I don’t understand why those spirits like to harass the prostitutes). The pimps would burn extra quantity of paper money (denominated in billions) outside those nightclubs and strip joints.

The weirdest thing is that many villages like to invite Cantonese opera to perform in open space during this period. I remember that I watched a Cantonese opera performing in Shek O (a silent fishing village on the southern side of HK island) at 3 a.m. with my girl friend after barbecuing on the beach. In the dozens of benches there, there was no one single audience.

But my mom scolded me afterwards after I told her that story. She said all those benches were reserved for ghosts.

Another favorite activity was to drive by a mortuary on the remote western side of HK island during this period where some coffins had laid inside for two, three or even four decades (some tycoons have waited and still waited for the Feng Shui Master to choose the best grave site for their deceased parents). I guarantee any girls would scare to death and hug you tightly.

Coincidentally Japan also has the same Ghost Festival at roughly the same time. They call it Obon while Cantonese call it Yu Lan.

Quote:

Moreover, the Red-light district is especially aware of those spirits during this period (I don’t understand why those spirits like to harass the prostitutes). The pimps would burn extra quantity of paper money (denominated in billions) outside those nightclubs and strip joints.

I think it's bcuz ppl think that those places (RLD) is "dirty" sipritually, so thats why they are really aware off during those 2 weeks, not to offend or bring any kind of bad luck to their business/joint. :conf

I guess there is another reason.

In Cantonese, there is such term as 鹹濕鬼 which means "horny ghosts". Probably those bosses and pimps in the Red Light District are afraid that these horny ghosts will attempt to sexually molest their whores during this active period.