Chinese-Forums

help: meds and visa

bredmond812陈秉劲

bredmond812陈秉劲

hello everybody,

I know meds have been discussed somewhere before, but i couldnt find out where. I also have a problem with my visa and otherwise need some advice.

第一题: Medicaion: I need to take medication daily, but i dont know how to get it in china, what do i do?

第二题: Visa: I have a job lined up in China teaching English at a university starting in the fall semester (teacher orientation begins around early to mid august, classes begin september). Unfortunately they want a diploma and only a diploma, and i wont be getting my diploma until around November. they are willing to let me work there, but i wont be able to get a working visa from them until the following semester. I know there are other visas out there, but i thought you cannot work without a working visa. How can i get a visa that will work?

第三题: Other questions: I want to get some kind of documentation for evidence of empoloyment for tax purposes (i want to be in compliance with tax codes here in teh states), i also want the documentation to show any government agency i might want to work for that would look at my employment history and acknowledge that i have spent time in China and so have the desired experience. However, i heard that all pay in China is done by cash, and there are no pay stubs or anything like that. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

陈秉劲

Medication: If you have doubts about the availability of your meds in China, your doctor should be able to arrange for you to get a large enough supply plus a certificate proving it is prescription medicine. However, China does have a health system and you should be able to find your medication here, or at least a suitable substitute.

Visa: I don't recommend teaching anywhere without a proper work visa.

Money: I'm sure if you explained the situation to your school they would be able to provide the necessary documentation.

i've read that chinese medications are often fake knock-offs of legitimate products, so even

if you find your meds in a local pharmacy.....

otherwise, you can go directly to a decent hospital. here in kunmingland, a canadian-sino

joint venture just opened a new hospital, which has a well-stocked pharmacy which either

carries or can order most anything.

you can always try the online canadian or indian pharmacies. i've ordered a few times,

having the package delivered to my university address. no problems yet with customs or

lost mail.

Fakes exist, of course, but you wouldn't get a population of 1.3 billion if all the medicine was fake. It should be possible to find a good, trustworthy hospital and pharmacy in most decent sized cities and towns. And you don't always need to go to foreign hospitals, many of the Chinese hospitals are fine.

I'm sure online pharmacies are just the same- make sure you find a trustworthy one. Otherwise making arrangements with your doctor, friends or family to ship over supplies as they become necessary can work. But you have to be careful with shipping medicines: I've never had a problem, but I've known people who've had shipments of necessary medicines disappear.

Last time I was in China and we were leaving my friend and I got searched. She is a doctor and brought a medical kit. They shook a few things. They were asking alot of questions. She told them she was a doctor and what stuff was for.

So bring a letter on letterhead from you doctor.

I would also bring all the original packaging which has details about the meds too

Also I just have brought everything possible I can to China, I think it would be a hassle trying to get your meds here. visit the doctor blah blah.

all the best.

bredmond812陈秉劲

so does anybody have an answer to what happens when you work without a work visa? it looks like it might have to happen for a month or two. how long does it take to change a travel visa to a working visa?

Working without a work visa is opening yourself up to a world of potential trouble. If your boss screws you, your just plain screwed, you have no legal recourse, no way out. And, of course, you're here illegally working illegally running all the obvious risks.

If your boss is legit and getting you the documents for a z visa, then you may still need to make a visa run to Hong Kong, but that depends on where you are. Some places are stricter than others.