Chinese-Forums

Small Language Schools in Kunming

saint8484

update on WUHUA language school.

last week sent emails to both listed addresses (one came back undeliverable) and a

message on their website contact link. no answer at the 'office' phone. no response

to emails, so stopped by this afternoon for a visit.

the school is in an apartment in bei chen subdivision, but currently is only teaching music.

the teacher i spoke with at the school at first thought i wanted to learn to play zither (?).

when i asked about the textbooks used, i was shown a zerox copy of a music book.

he knew nothing of chinese instruction, but when i told him about his school's website,

he called jenny for me. jenny tells me they currently have no furrin' students. she has

stopped teaching chinese, as she was planning on a trip to the us, but never got around

to getting her visa. she can start up again at any time, according to potential students'

schedules.

that was enough for me. i didn't bother asking specific questions about instruction or

visas or student accomodations. (one student at elcec told me wuhau uses elcec to

handle visa processing).

i won't say i was disappointed, let's just say unimpressed. with no classes to sample,

i can't say anything about their level of instruction. it's quite possible this could be a

very good school, but no way to know without attending.

as for me, i'll probably sign on for another year at elcec.

• 3 weeks later...